Re: [Hammock Camping] Will I ever get better at setting up?

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3 6:24 AM
      The only time I set up a tarp first is in the rain. for many a night, I
      tie the tarp to the trees in its separate snakeskins, but do not put the
      tarp out unless it looks like rain is likely or I am cold under a clear
      sky.

      This sometimes backfires. I once woke several times in the middle of the
      night to see a bright moon overhead. Next time I woke to rain starting
      to hit me and the leaves around me. It takes a lot less than 2 minutes
      to get a tarp up in these conditions. Within a few seconds I was able to
      strip the snakeskins off the tarp and drop its sides around the hammock.
      Then I pulled out the stakes and had the four stakes in the ground in
      another minute or so.

      Risk

      Brian T wrote:
      >> Quick question: How many of you folks that use a separate tarp set the tarp up first?
      >>

      > I set up my hammock first, as I almost can never get it right the first time.
      >
      > Brian
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3 6:30 AM
        There are days/nights when I can get my hennessy up without a fight.
        Probably five minutes or less.

        Then there are the days when it takes thirty minutes.
        I think the better rested and well fed I am, the easier it is for me.

        TV
      • spunky2_2004
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3 6:31 AM
          Excellent advice. Thanks! I think I have a feel for the space I need
          between trees for my Clark, but I'm still getting a feel for the
          space I need for my Trek Light double.

          I bought some industrial strength autolocking tie-downs from Northern
          Tool. They are 12ft long and 2 inches wide. They work great because I
          can adjust to any length and I connect the hook ends directly to the
          hammock at the knot. I still wrap the tie-downs around the tree like
          I would a tree hugger hanging system.

          They have a 2000lb breaking strength and a 1500lb working load limit.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tod Massa <todmassa@...> wrote:

          > Also try straps instead of rope for your hammock. Add a small
          snaplink to one end of your centerline for your tarp. Develop a
          strategy for quickly identifying trees appropriately far apart and
          of the right size. Develop a process to follow each time that is
          efficient, that includes packing, unpacking, and repacking.

          ________

          > Ain't got no mo' mojo, but I got plenty o' banjo.

        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3 6:43 AM
            Not usually. If raining, tarp would go up first.

            CL

          • amendment2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3 2:46 PM
              I always set up the tarp first. Just habit.

            • Richard Perlman
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 6 11:23 AM
                I do pretty much the same thing, but I set up the fly just how I like
                it, then break it down, leaving
                the stakes in the ground. They're painted with a hi visibility orange
                paint and very easy to see.

                This eliminates the need to find a suitable spot for the stakes
                (sometimes very rocky or very soft ground presents a challenge you don't
                need, in the dark, when it's starting to rain) and tie off taughtline
                hitches.

                Rich