RE: [Hammock Camping] Will I ever get better at setting up?

  • Stuhr, Tim
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
      Unless the weather prevents it I set up my hammock first. It's just
      easier to set it up without having to get under a tarp to do it.

      Tim

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
        The only time I set up a tarp first is in the rain. for many a night, I
        tie the tarp to the trees in its separate snakeskins, but do not put the
        tarp out unless it looks like rain is likely or I am cold under a clear
        sky.

        This sometimes backfires. I once woke several times in the middle of the
        night to see a bright moon overhead. Next time I woke to rain starting
        to hit me and the leaves around me. It takes a lot less than 2 minutes
        to get a tarp up in these conditions. Within a few seconds I was able to
        strip the snakeskins off the tarp and drop its sides around the hammock.
        Then I pulled out the stakes and had the four stakes in the ground in
        another minute or so.

        Risk

        Brian T wrote:
        >> Quick question: How many of you folks that use a separate tarp set the tarp up first?
        >>

        > I set up my hammock first, as I almost can never get it right the first time.
        >
        > Brian
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Thomas Vickers
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
          There are days/nights when I can get my hennessy up without a fight.
          Probably five minutes or less.

          Then there are the days when it takes thirty minutes.
          I think the better rested and well fed I am, the easier it is for me.

          TV
        • spunky2_2004
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
            Excellent advice. Thanks! I think I have a feel for the space I need
            between trees for my Clark, but I'm still getting a feel for the
            space I need for my Trek Light double.

            I bought some industrial strength autolocking tie-downs from Northern
            Tool. They are 12ft long and 2 inches wide. They work great because I
            can adjust to any length and I connect the hook ends directly to the
            hammock at the knot. I still wrap the tie-downs around the tree like
            I would a tree hugger hanging system.

            They have a 2000lb breaking strength and a 1500lb working load limit.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tod Massa <todmassa@...> wrote:

            > Also try straps instead of rope for your hammock. Add a small
            snaplink to one end of your centerline for your tarp. Develop a
            strategy for quickly identifying trees appropriately far apart and
            of the right size. Develop a process to follow each time that is
            efficient, that includes packing, unpacking, and repacking.

            ________

            > Ain't got no mo' mojo, but I got plenty o' banjo.

          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
              Not usually. If raining, tarp would go up first.

              CL

            • amendment2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
                I always set up the tarp first. Just habit.

              • Richard Perlman
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 6, 2007
                  I do pretty much the same thing, but I set up the fly just how I like
                  it, then break it down, leaving
                  the stakes in the ground. They're painted with a hi visibility orange
                  paint and very easy to see.

                  This eliminates the need to find a suitable spot for the stakes
                  (sometimes very rocky or very soft ground presents a challenge you don't
                  need, in the dark, when it's starting to rain) and tie off taughtline
                  hitches.

                  Rich