Re: [Hammock Camping] Survival/emergency topics, was Solar Stills

    Message 1 of 68 , Dec 3, 2007
      Ha! Yep. Nice shelter. Crazy goat. Fortunately, I have raised sheep, so
      I knew that as soon as he reared I needed to push (kick) him backwards.
      I hate a ram that thinks he owns the world - they can hurt if they get
      forward momentum! He gave up after two tries. Was the goat there all
      summer? I was there in June of (probably) 2004.

      Risk

      Tod Massa wrote:
      > Clearly the Mutant Attack Goat of the Paul L Wolf Shelter...five miles from Rockfish. There is also a MAG on the Big Schloss trail.
      >

      > The deer, and black bears, are so tame in Shenandoah, and so plentiful, that they are almost a special case.
      >
      > -Tod
      >
      > Ain't got no mo' mojo, but I got plenty o' banjo.

    • Jamie D.
      Message 68 of 68 , Dec 18, 2007
        Yep, a copious amount of clean water used to flush a wound (at
        pressure if possible) is really all you need. some studies suggest
        it's even potentially more destructive to the injured tissue to use
        peroxide or other anit-bacterial cleaning agents.

        Huh, good old mother nature provided H2O, how about that.

        Another thing I find really interesting is that according to the
        rescue peeps I've talked to most rescues occur within a 72 hour
        period. That has changed the way I look at my "survival" kit.

        Jamie in AZ

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks for the info I will definately add the women's sanitary pad
        and remove the towlettes now that I know this. The reason I went with
        clorox as a water treatment is that I remember reading in one of the
        outdoor magazines or survival shows that overdosing iodine can be
        potentially deadly where as the clorox has a bit more of a higher
        fudge factor. another thing I thought of is that since I carry the
        alcohol couldn't I dilute a bit of the gel in a bit of water and come
        up with an applicalble antiseptic if needed? For the most part I guess
        I always figured that I would just use my treated water as a flush if
        I needed one.