Re: [Hammock Camping] Will I ever get better at setting up?

  • Brian T
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
      > Quick question: How many of you folks that use a separate tarp set the tarp up first?

      I set up my hammock first, as I almost can never get it right the first time.

      Brian
    • Stuhr, Tim
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
        Unless the weather prevents it I set up my hammock first. It's just
        easier to set it up without having to get under a tarp to do it.

        Tim

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
          The only time I set up a tarp first is in the rain. for many a night, I
          tie the tarp to the trees in its separate snakeskins, but do not put the
          tarp out unless it looks like rain is likely or I am cold under a clear
          sky.

          This sometimes backfires. I once woke several times in the middle of the
          night to see a bright moon overhead. Next time I woke to rain starting
          to hit me and the leaves around me. It takes a lot less than 2 minutes
          to get a tarp up in these conditions. Within a few seconds I was able to
          strip the snakeskins off the tarp and drop its sides around the hammock.
          Then I pulled out the stakes and had the four stakes in the ground in
          another minute or so.

          Risk

          Brian T wrote:
          >> Quick question: How many of you folks that use a separate tarp set the tarp up first?
          >>

          > I set up my hammock first, as I almost can never get it right the first time.
          >
          > Brian
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Thomas Vickers
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
            There are days/nights when I can get my hennessy up without a fight.
            Probably five minutes or less.

            Then there are the days when it takes thirty minutes.
            I think the better rested and well fed I am, the easier it is for me.

            TV
          • spunky2_2004
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
              Excellent advice. Thanks! I think I have a feel for the space I need
              between trees for my Clark, but I'm still getting a feel for the
              space I need for my Trek Light double.

              I bought some industrial strength autolocking tie-downs from Northern
              Tool. They are 12ft long and 2 inches wide. They work great because I
              can adjust to any length and I connect the hook ends directly to the
              hammock at the knot. I still wrap the tie-downs around the tree like
              I would a tree hugger hanging system.

              They have a 2000lb breaking strength and a 1500lb working load limit.

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tod Massa <todmassa@...> wrote:

              > Also try straps instead of rope for your hammock. Add a small
              snaplink to one end of your centerline for your tarp. Develop a
              strategy for quickly identifying trees appropriately far apart and
              of the right size. Develop a process to follow each time that is
              efficient, that includes packing, unpacking, and repacking.

              ________

              > Ain't got no mo' mojo, but I got plenty o' banjo.

            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
                Not usually. If raining, tarp would go up first.

                CL

              • amendment2@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
                  I always set up the tarp first. Just habit.

                • Richard Perlman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 6, 2007
                    I do pretty much the same thing, but I set up the fly just how I like
                    it, then break it down, leaving
                    the stakes in the ground. They're painted with a hi visibility orange
                    paint and very easy to see.

                    This eliminates the need to find a suitable spot for the stakes
                    (sometimes very rocky or very soft ground presents a challenge you don't
                    need, in the dark, when it's starting to rain) and tie off taughtline
                    hitches.

                    Rich