Re: [Hammock Camping] Survival/emergency topics, was Solar Stills

  • Tod Massa
    Message 1 of 68 , Dec 3, 2007
      Clearly the Mutant Attack Goat of the Paul L Wolf Shelter...five miles from Rockfish. There is also a MAG on the Big Schloss trail.

      The deer, and black bears, are so tame in Shenandoah, and so plentiful, that they are almost a special case.

      -Tod

      I have had few animal experiences in shelters. There was a supper time

      bear trying to get to some suspended packs once. A bat flew through the

      shelter several times in the Smoky Mountains one night. Mice in

      abundance everywhere in shelters of course. Hornets in one shelter. And

      a goat tried to attack me at a shelter just south of Rockfish Gap in

      Virginia during a lunchtime break.

      Risk
    • Jamie D.
      Message 68 of 68 , Dec 18, 2007
        Yep, a copious amount of clean water used to flush a wound (at
        pressure if possible) is really all you need. some studies suggest
        it's even potentially more destructive to the injured tissue to use
        peroxide or other anit-bacterial cleaning agents.

        Huh, good old mother nature provided H2O, how about that.

        Another thing I find really interesting is that according to the
        rescue peeps I've talked to most rescues occur within a 72 hour
        period. That has changed the way I look at my "survival" kit.

        Jamie in AZ

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks for the info I will definately add the women's sanitary pad
        and remove the towlettes now that I know this. The reason I went with
        clorox as a water treatment is that I remember reading in one of the
        outdoor magazines or survival shows that overdosing iodine can be
        potentially deadly where as the clorox has a bit more of a higher
        fudge factor. another thing I thought of is that since I carry the
        alcohol couldn't I dilute a bit of the gel in a bit of water and come
        up with an applicalble antiseptic if needed? For the most part I guess
        I always figured that I would just use my treated water as a flush if
        I needed one.