Re: [Hammock Camping] Will I ever get better at setting up?

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
      I once timed myself putting up my hammock and getting in the quilt for
      some purpose on one of the hammock or hiking lists. It was about 2-1/2
      minutes. Add another 2 minutes for the tarp. When I lay out my tarp
      tent, it takes about 2-3 minutes.

      What takes more time is finding the right place. Along the AT, finding
      a good hammock place is easy while finding a place for a tent may take a
      mile of walking. In Texas, oftentimes finding a place for a tent is
      easier than finding the trees for a hammock.

      Practice does make it easier. Not hurrying almost always makes it faster.

      Risk

      spunky2_2004 wrote:
      > Sheesh! Will I ever get better at setting up???
      >
      > Okay, I'm a total newbie and at the risk of embarrassing myself on a
      > list of several hundred people...here we go:
      >
      > I can count the number of times I've setup and taken down my Clark NA
      > in my backyard experimenting with different combinations on one hand,
      > but will I ever get better at all this? Please tell me, like with
      > everything else, I'll get better with time and practice!
      >
      > It seems as if I could unpack a fancy new lightweight backpack tent,
      > roll out a pad, roll out a bag, and be asleep in less than 10 minutes.
      >
      > As it is now...I've got to tie off my hammock, tie off my bug
      > net/weathershield, tie off and stake my tarp, place and adjust my pad,
      > place and adjust my sleeping bag, blankets, or other things I need to
      > stay warm, crawl in, zip up, then get some sleep.
      >
      > I need LOTS of practice!
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • spunky2_2004
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
        I figure it will just take practice and it will help once I settle
        into a routine. Many places I paddle have nice beaches in which I can
        pitch a lightweight tent. Maybe I'll get one and make it part of my
        normal gear load while kayaking.

        > I once timed myself putting up my hammock and getting in the quilt
        for
        > some purpose on one of the hammock or hiking lists. It was about 2-
        1/2
        > minutes. Add another 2 minutes for the tarp. When I lay out my
        tarp
        > tent, it takes about 2-3 minutes.
        >
        > What takes more time is finding the right place. Along the AT,
        finding
        > a good hammock place is easy while finding a place for a tent may
        take a
        > mile of walking. In Texas, oftentimes finding a place for a tent is
        > easier than finding the trees for a hammock.
        >
        > Practice does make it easier. Not hurrying almost always makes it
        faster.

        > Risk
        >
        > spunky2_2004 wrote:
        > > Sheesh! Will I ever get better at setting up???
        > >
        > > Okay, I'm a total newbie and at the risk of embarrassing myself
        on a
        > > list of several hundred people...here we go:
        > >
        > > I can count the number of times I've setup and taken down my
        Clark NA
        > > in my backyard experimenting with different combinations on one
        hand,
        > > but will I ever get better at all this? Please tell me, like with
        > > everything else, I'll get better with time and practice!
        > >
        > > It seems as if I could unpack a fancy new lightweight backpack
        tent,
        > > roll out a pad, roll out a bag, and be asleep in less than 10
        minutes.

        > > As it is now...I've got to tie off my hammock, tie off my bug
        > > net/weathershield, tie off and stake my tarp, place and adjust my
        pad,
        > > place and adjust my sleeping bag, blankets, or other things I
        need to
        > > stay warm, crawl in, zip up, then get some sleep.
        > >
        > > I need LOTS of practice!
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Tod Massa
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
          Also try straps instead of rope for your hammock. Add a small snaplink to one end of your centerline for your tarp. Develop a strategy for quickly identifying trees appropriately far apart and of the right size. Develop a process to follow each time that is efficient, that includes packing, unpacking, and repacking.

          Quick question: How many of you folks that use a separate tarp set the tarp up first?

          Tod

        • Brian T
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
            > Quick question: How many of you folks that use a separate tarp set the tarp up first?

            I set up my hammock first, as I almost can never get it right the first time.

            Brian
          • Stuhr, Tim
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
              Unless the weather prevents it I set up my hammock first. It's just
              easier to set it up without having to get under a tarp to do it.

              Tim

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
                The only time I set up a tarp first is in the rain. for many a night, I
                tie the tarp to the trees in its separate snakeskins, but do not put the
                tarp out unless it looks like rain is likely or I am cold under a clear
                sky.

                This sometimes backfires. I once woke several times in the middle of the
                night to see a bright moon overhead. Next time I woke to rain starting
                to hit me and the leaves around me. It takes a lot less than 2 minutes
                to get a tarp up in these conditions. Within a few seconds I was able to
                strip the snakeskins off the tarp and drop its sides around the hammock.
                Then I pulled out the stakes and had the four stakes in the ground in
                another minute or so.

                Risk

                Brian T wrote:
                >> Quick question: How many of you folks that use a separate tarp set the tarp up first?
                >>

                > I set up my hammock first, as I almost can never get it right the first time.
                >
                > Brian
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Thomas Vickers
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
                  There are days/nights when I can get my hennessy up without a fight.
                  Probably five minutes or less.

                  Then there are the days when it takes thirty minutes.
                  I think the better rested and well fed I am, the easier it is for me.

                  TV
                • spunky2_2004
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
                    Excellent advice. Thanks! I think I have a feel for the space I need
                    between trees for my Clark, but I'm still getting a feel for the
                    space I need for my Trek Light double.

                    I bought some industrial strength autolocking tie-downs from Northern
                    Tool. They are 12ft long and 2 inches wide. They work great because I
                    can adjust to any length and I connect the hook ends directly to the
                    hammock at the knot. I still wrap the tie-downs around the tree like
                    I would a tree hugger hanging system.

                    They have a 2000lb breaking strength and a 1500lb working load limit.

                    ________

                    > Ain't got no mo' mojo, but I got plenty o' banjo.

                  • Cara Lin Bridgman
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
                      Not usually. If raining, tarp would go up first.

                      CL

                    • amendment2@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
                        I always set up the tarp first. Just habit.

                      • Richard Perlman
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 6, 2007
                          I do pretty much the same thing, but I set up the fly just how I like
                          it, then break it down, leaving
                          the stakes in the ground. They're painted with a hi visibility orange
                          paint and very easy to see.

                          This eliminates the need to find a suitable spot for the stakes
                          (sometimes very rocky or very soft ground presents a challenge you don't
                          need, in the dark, when it's starting to rain) and tie off taughtline
                          hitches.

                          Rich