Will I ever get better at setting up?

  • spunky2_2004
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 2, 2007
      Sheesh! Will I ever get better at setting up???

      Okay, I'm a total newbie and at the risk of embarrassing myself on a
      list of several hundred people...here we go:

      I can count the number of times I've setup and taken down my Clark NA
      in my backyard experimenting with different combinations on one hand,
      but will I ever get better at all this? Please tell me, like with
      everything else, I'll get better with time and practice!

      It seems as if I could unpack a fancy new lightweight backpack tent,
      roll out a pad, roll out a bag, and be asleep in less than 10 minutes.

      As it is now...I've got to tie off my hammock, tie off my bug
      net/weathershield, tie off and stake my tarp, place and adjust my pad,
      place and adjust my sleeping bag, blankets, or other things I need to
      stay warm, crawl in, zip up, then get some sleep.

      I need LOTS of practice!
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
        I once timed myself putting up my hammock and getting in the quilt for
        some purpose on one of the hammock or hiking lists. It was about 2-1/2
        minutes. Add another 2 minutes for the tarp. When I lay out my tarp
        tent, it takes about 2-3 minutes.

        What takes more time is finding the right place. Along the AT, finding
        a good hammock place is easy while finding a place for a tent may take a
        mile of walking. In Texas, oftentimes finding a place for a tent is
        easier than finding the trees for a hammock.

        Practice does make it easier. Not hurrying almost always makes it faster.

        Risk

        spunky2_2004 wrote:
        > Sheesh! Will I ever get better at setting up???
        >
        > Okay, I'm a total newbie and at the risk of embarrassing myself on a
        > list of several hundred people...here we go:
        >
        > I can count the number of times I've setup and taken down my Clark NA
        > in my backyard experimenting with different combinations on one hand,
        > but will I ever get better at all this? Please tell me, like with
        > everything else, I'll get better with time and practice!
        >
        > It seems as if I could unpack a fancy new lightweight backpack tent,
        > roll out a pad, roll out a bag, and be asleep in less than 10 minutes.
        >
        > As it is now...I've got to tie off my hammock, tie off my bug
        > net/weathershield, tie off and stake my tarp, place and adjust my pad,
        > place and adjust my sleeping bag, blankets, or other things I need to
        > stay warm, crawl in, zip up, then get some sleep.
        >
        > I need LOTS of practice!
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • spunky2_2004
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
          I figure it will just take practice and it will help once I settle
          into a routine. Many places I paddle have nice beaches in which I can
          pitch a lightweight tent. Maybe I'll get one and make it part of my
          normal gear load while kayaking.

          > I once timed myself putting up my hammock and getting in the quilt
          for
          > some purpose on one of the hammock or hiking lists. It was about 2-
          1/2
          > minutes. Add another 2 minutes for the tarp. When I lay out my
          tarp
          > tent, it takes about 2-3 minutes.
          >
          > What takes more time is finding the right place. Along the AT,
          finding
          > a good hammock place is easy while finding a place for a tent may
          take a
          > mile of walking. In Texas, oftentimes finding a place for a tent is
          > easier than finding the trees for a hammock.
          >
          > Practice does make it easier. Not hurrying almost always makes it
          faster.

          > Risk
          >
          > spunky2_2004 wrote:
          > > Sheesh! Will I ever get better at setting up???
          > >
          > > Okay, I'm a total newbie and at the risk of embarrassing myself
          on a
          > > list of several hundred people...here we go:
          > >
          > > I can count the number of times I've setup and taken down my
          Clark NA
          > > in my backyard experimenting with different combinations on one
          hand,
          > > but will I ever get better at all this? Please tell me, like with
          > > everything else, I'll get better with time and practice!
          > >
          > > It seems as if I could unpack a fancy new lightweight backpack
          tent,
          > > roll out a pad, roll out a bag, and be asleep in less than 10
          minutes.

          > > As it is now...I've got to tie off my hammock, tie off my bug
          > > net/weathershield, tie off and stake my tarp, place and adjust my
          pad,
          > > place and adjust my sleeping bag, blankets, or other things I
          need to
          > > stay warm, crawl in, zip up, then get some sleep.
          > >
          > > I need LOTS of practice!
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Tod Massa
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
            Also try straps instead of rope for your hammock. Add a small snaplink to one end of your centerline for your tarp. Develop a strategy for quickly identifying trees appropriately far apart and of the right size. Develop a process to follow each time that is efficient, that includes packing, unpacking, and repacking.

            Quick question: How many of you folks that use a separate tarp set the tarp up first?

            Tod

          • Brian T
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
              > Quick question: How many of you folks that use a separate tarp set the tarp up first?

              I set up my hammock first, as I almost can never get it right the first time.

              Brian
            • Stuhr, Tim
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
                Unless the weather prevents it I set up my hammock first. It's just
                easier to set it up without having to get under a tarp to do it.

                Tim

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
                  The only time I set up a tarp first is in the rain. for many a night, I
                  tie the tarp to the trees in its separate snakeskins, but do not put the
                  tarp out unless it looks like rain is likely or I am cold under a clear
                  sky.

                  This sometimes backfires. I once woke several times in the middle of the
                  night to see a bright moon overhead. Next time I woke to rain starting
                  to hit me and the leaves around me. It takes a lot less than 2 minutes
                  to get a tarp up in these conditions. Within a few seconds I was able to
                  strip the snakeskins off the tarp and drop its sides around the hammock.
                  Then I pulled out the stakes and had the four stakes in the ground in
                  another minute or so.

                  Risk

                  Brian T wrote:
                  >> Quick question: How many of you folks that use a separate tarp set the tarp up first?
                  >>

                  > I set up my hammock first, as I almost can never get it right the first time.
                  >
                  > Brian
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Thomas Vickers
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
                    There are days/nights when I can get my hennessy up without a fight.
                    Probably five minutes or less.

                    Then there are the days when it takes thirty minutes.
                    I think the better rested and well fed I am, the easier it is for me.

                    TV
                  • spunky2_2004
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
                      Excellent advice. Thanks! I think I have a feel for the space I need
                      between trees for my Clark, but I'm still getting a feel for the
                      space I need for my Trek Light double.

                      I bought some industrial strength autolocking tie-downs from Northern
                      Tool. They are 12ft long and 2 inches wide. They work great because I
                      can adjust to any length and I connect the hook ends directly to the
                      hammock at the knot. I still wrap the tie-downs around the tree like
                      I would a tree hugger hanging system.

                      They have a 2000lb breaking strength and a 1500lb working load limit.

                      ________

                      > Ain't got no mo' mojo, but I got plenty o' banjo.

                    • Cara Lin Bridgman
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
                        Not usually. If raining, tarp would go up first.

                        CL

                      • amendment2@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
                          I always set up the tarp first. Just habit.

                        • Richard Perlman
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 6, 2007
                            I do pretty much the same thing, but I set up the fly just how I like
                            it, then break it down, leaving
                            the stakes in the ground. They're painted with a hi visibility orange
                            paint and very easy to see.

                            This eliminates the need to find a suitable spot for the stakes
                            (sometimes very rocky or very soft ground presents a challenge you don't
                            need, in the dark, when it's starting to rain) and tie off taughtline
                            hitches.

                            Rich