RE: [Hammock Camping] Leaving...

  • Greg Dunlap
    Message 1 of 37 , Dec 2, 2007
      Here is one of the best "guides" on using a tarp for a shelter that I have
      ever seen. http://www.equipped.org/tarp-shelters.htm

      It's worth going through it several times and even downloading the
      "tarp-shelters.pdf" to go over at leisure.

      Greg Dunlap
      Santa Rosa, CA
      38.478156 N
      122.754598 W
      157 feet above sea level

      blackey@...

      Message 37 of 37 , Jan 6, 2008
        Rosaleen, will do.
        This is a scout trip and we are not sure if we will get on the AT itself or not, and will be on the east side of the mountain. Since we are base camping, we will carry our own water since previous experiences dictates that is the best strategy.

        I hiked from Rockfish Gap to the Tye River in mid-October...water sources, using the term loosely, were generally 8-10 miles apart. A few weeks ago the troop did 10 miles on the AT from just before the Devils' Marbleyard to the James River despite the recent rains, there was no water until Matt's Creek, so at least and eight mile span there.

        Tod