Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Survival/emergency topics, was Solar Stills

  • Tod Massa
    Message 1 of 68 , Dec 3, 2007
      This a good point: critters do like using the people trails. I had to chase a whitetail buck off the trail during my last backpacking trip since he was in my way. Bears and moose are often the same, as are coyotes and wolves. Perhaps more important is to learn to recognize game trails and NOT set up over those ....predators follow game trails. We learned this early on when I was stationed in Alaska. Hanging across a game trail is really not a good idea. Getting involved with moose is also not a good idea. Three bucks are sparring on the side of the road in AK during the rut, when one decided to charge my truck as I drove by...fortunately he thought better of it.

      AT shelters are notorious for mice.

      -Tod

      Message 68 of 68 , Dec 18, 2007
        Yep, a copious amount of clean water used to flush a wound (at
        pressure if possible) is really all you need. some studies suggest
        it's even potentially more destructive to the injured tissue to use
        peroxide or other anit-bacterial cleaning agents.

        Huh, good old mother nature provided H2O, how about that.

        Another thing I find really interesting is that according to the
        rescue peeps I've talked to most rescues occur within a 72 hour
        period. That has changed the way I look at my "survival" kit.

        Jamie in AZ

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks for the info I will definately add the women's sanitary pad
        and remove the towlettes now that I know this. The reason I went with
        clorox as a water treatment is that I remember reading in one of the
        outdoor magazines or survival shows that overdosing iodine can be
        potentially deadly where as the clorox has a bit more of a higher
        fudge factor. another thing I thought of is that since I carry the
        alcohol couldn't I dilute a bit of the gel in a bit of water and come
        up with an applicalble antiseptic if needed? For the most part I guess
        I always figured that I would just use my treated water as a flush if
        I needed one.