Re: [Hammock Camping] Survival/emergency topics, was Solar Stills

  • Tod Massa
    Message 1 of 68 , Dec 3, 2007
      70 degree days can equate to 45-50 degree nights in the mountains. I've seen hypothermia begin at those temps that was only stopped by unaffected people paying attention. So, I have a greater desire for warmth than comfort...I can sleep sitting up, reclined against rocks with a poncho liner better than I can in hammock with only a space blanket at those temps. I sleep cold though and you may be different.

      The kid that cut his arm off was in a place alone where he most likely shouldn't have been alone. I was participating in a wilderness ultramarathons when that happened and the consensus amongst those crazy folks was that he put himself in a situation where he was going to get hurt and be alone and was lucky to live through it.

      This brings up a key point about survival whether you are traveling alone or not: Leave an itinerary or let people know where you are going and when you expect to be back.

      -Tod

      ---
      Again, my husband and I are mostly planning for emergencies in temperate conditions. We are

      retiring and planning to chase 70 degrees around the country as much as we can! I can appreciate

      your concerns at substantially lower temps, though. We are working with the average 70-degree

      day, but prepped for lower temps for a night to deal with a crisis in the field.

      Again, are you talking about emergency situations, where you find yourself stuck unexpectedly?

      Remember that guy a year or two ago who was climbing alone, and got his arm stuck between some

      rocks? Ended up cutting off his own arm to get free. I bet he wishes he had a decent whistle

      with him. Please remember, I'm talking about an unexpected need for a night out, so the balance

      must be maintained between the weight we'll carry and the probability of needing it.
    • Jamie D.
      Message 68 of 68 , Dec 18, 2007
        Yep, a copious amount of clean water used to flush a wound (at
        pressure if possible) is really all you need. some studies suggest
        it's even potentially more destructive to the injured tissue to use
        peroxide or other anit-bacterial cleaning agents.

        Huh, good old mother nature provided H2O, how about that.

        Another thing I find really interesting is that according to the
        rescue peeps I've talked to most rescues occur within a 72 hour
        period. That has changed the way I look at my "survival" kit.

        Jamie in AZ

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks for the info I will definately add the women's sanitary pad
        and remove the towlettes now that I know this. The reason I went with
        clorox as a water treatment is that I remember reading in one of the
        outdoor magazines or survival shows that overdosing iodine can be
        potentially deadly where as the clorox has a bit more of a higher
        fudge factor. another thing I thought of is that since I carry the
        alcohol couldn't I dilute a bit of the gel in a bit of water and come
        up with an applicalble antiseptic if needed? For the most part I guess
        I always figured that I would just use my treated water as a flush if
        I needed one.