Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Survival/emergency topics, was Solar Stills

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 68 , Dec 3, 2007
      Linda,

      Somebody on this list or in one of the hammock forums describes having a
      pack of wolves run under her hammock. I've noticed that birds do not
      seem to recognize my Hennessey hammock as something to do with humans.

      As to the emergency scenarios, my experience has been that any time I'd
      really need to use leaves for insulation, I'd also be in the middle of a
      typhoon--in which case, everything is completely soaked, especially the
      leaves. This is, actually, when a hammock would be nice, since you'd be
      sleeping over the flow and not in it. But I'd rather not count on there
      being any leaves. Of course, in the deciduous forests of eastern USA,
      there usually seems no shortage of leaves.

      Fire? I always think of Jack London's To Build a Fire. Really, if
      you're cold, keep walking or get into your sleeping bag and crack open
      that bar of emergency chocolate. Besides, if the terrain is really too
      steep for even a bivy sac, then it's probably a lousy place to build a fire.

      I don't think I'd want a fire too close to my hammock.

      If I was really only going to carry something for emergency, I'd carry a
      bivy sac or windbreaker (this summer Campmor was selling a cagoule that
      you could cinch tight and transform into a bivy sac of sorts) and enough
      closed-cell foam pad to sit on cross-legged. Depending on weather and
      inclination, I might add my sleeping bag and maybe a tarp. Then I'd
      find a place to burrow and get out of the wind. I'd do this even when
      in a typhoon and everything is flowing like a river. If I'm backpacking
      and carrying overnight gear, then I should have already have everything
      I need for survival, whether hanging in a hammock or rolled up in a tarp
      on the ground.

      Frankly, in your waterfall scenario, depending a whole lot on the trail
      conditions, I think the best thing would be to keep moving slowly until
      you get back to the trail head.

      This past spring, we were in a situation with one of our six-member team
      deteriorating due to altitude sickness. We were staying in a climbing
      hut at about 3200 m (>10,000 ft) and that day had climbed to about 3900
      meters (>12,000 ft) to the top of Taiwan's second highest mountain. He
      didn't have the usual symptoms (headache, coughing) and he hadn't
      communicated that he was having trouble (2+ days without being able to
      keep down any food). The second night at altitude, he started sounding
      terrible and wasn't responding well. A friend in another group told us
      to make sure he slept sitting up. It did help.

      While he dozed, we discussed and weighed the importance of getting him
      down as soon as possible against the safety of the entire group
      attempting the hike in the dark. There was a real trail that required
      nothing technical, but there were plenty of places where a fall would
      have serious consequences (i.e. really big boo boos). We decided 1)
      we'd stay together as a group, 2)hiking down in the dark was no go, and
      3) we'd leave as soon as we could after dawn. We all made it out ok and
      as we got lower, the altitude sickness definitely got better. The
      biggest battle was helping him fight fatigue--he kept wanting to sit
      down and sleep and we kept getting him up and moving.

      CL
    • Jamie D.
      Message 68 of 68 , Dec 18, 2007
        Yep, a copious amount of clean water used to flush a wound (at
        pressure if possible) is really all you need. some studies suggest
        it's even potentially more destructive to the injured tissue to use
        peroxide or other anit-bacterial cleaning agents.

        Huh, good old mother nature provided H2O, how about that.

        Another thing I find really interesting is that according to the
        rescue peeps I've talked to most rescues occur within a 72 hour
        period. That has changed the way I look at my "survival" kit.

        Jamie in AZ

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks for the info I will definately add the women's sanitary pad
        and remove the towlettes now that I know this. The reason I went with
        clorox as a water treatment is that I remember reading in one of the
        outdoor magazines or survival shows that overdosing iodine can be
        potentially deadly where as the clorox has a bit more of a higher
        fudge factor. another thing I thought of is that since I carry the
        alcohol couldn't I dilute a bit of the gel in a bit of water and come
        up with an applicalble antiseptic if needed? For the most part I guess
        I always figured that I would just use my treated water as a flush if
        I needed one.