Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Survival/emergency topics, was Solar Stills

  • ian toal
    Message 1 of 68 , Dec 2, 2007
      Hello Linda,
      I do have one caution about hanging across a trail. I live up in Northern New Hampshire and have spoken with a few people who have seen moose use the trails up here to travel along. I'ld recommend hanging next to a trail rather than across it. It is very rare but one never knows. That being said, the only animals I have ever had come close to me at camp are racoons and field mice, and I've been camping for years.

      My last over night was along the edge of a cliff last week, the temperature went down to 5 degrees and I had a steady 20 to 25 mph wind blowing all night. The biggest plus I had was an inflatable ground pad. I also had a my extra clothes packed around me to block the wind. I was comfortable the entire night.

      If it had gotten colder and I needed to stay warm, the I would of put the hammock on the ground over a layer of pine branches to block the cold from the ground. You could use the bug netting filled with leaves to build a "wall" against the wind and build a lean to but I don't think it would be practical. The one thing to consider in a emergency situation is that you may not be able to hang a hammock. It might be a matter of wrapping yourself in an emergency blanket and blowing a whistle every minute till some one finds you.

      I agree with Tod, I really think it is better to bring functional gear that can be used in several ways. Also, whenever I go in the woods I bring a bag specifically for emergencies. I keep a pocket water filter, matches, firestick, fire starters, emergency blanket, parachute cord, compass and a small knife. Total weight is around 2 lbs. Keep that in mind when you go out, pack weight can add up pretty fast, especially when you have a couple of miles to go to base camp, or your car.

      I know there is the chance of getting "off topic" here but Linda I think you are bringing up an excellent point. Anyone who goes into the woods should be prepared for an unforseen emergency. A guy I know went out for a cross country ski and ended up being pulled out of the woods two days later and lost both of his legs. Yes this is worst case, the sad part is that it could of been prevented.

      Keep asking questions Linda, and hopefully we can answer them for you.

      Linda Ellis <lellis4563@...> wrote:
      --- Mark Bayern <plcmark@...> wrote:
      > "In this situation, we're interested in surviving the night and limping out the next day, but
      > we want to be close enough to see other people walking the trail who may be able to help, if
      > necessary.
      > ahhh! Why not hang across the trail? Anyone (and everyone) on the
      > trail will find you.

      If this were feasible, I'd consider it, certainly. But in my research, I've come to understand
      that woodland creatures have learned that human-made trails make their lives easier, also! So, my
      question still stands - what if an animal happened upon us hung up in our hammocks?
      > You also need to remember that it is much harder to keep warm in a hammock. There is air
      > circulation all around you. This is very nice on those hot, hot summer nights, but can be a
      > problem once the temps get anything near cool.

      Point well-taken, and one we will consider in our planning and packing. For the most part, we're
      planning to be out only on pleasant days, and with proper clothing and packed additional layers.
      Would the air circulation problem be mitigated if a) we hung the hammocks lower to the ground -
      say, six inches; and b) filled in underneath the hammocks with leaves, pine branches, etc., and/or
      c) we built a fire nearby and kept it going; and/or d) we used an emergency blanket or two to
      create a reflective lean-to-style covering over the hammocks?

      I've also been looking at the technique of hanging two hammocks side-by-side over on Ed Speer's
      website, and we'll definitely give that a try next spring.

      Another idea I had was, if you're in cooler areas, aren't the bugs reduced? Given that I'm
      discussing an emergency situation, could I take the mosquito netting side and flip it to the
      bottom, and fill it with leaves to reduce air penetration?

      Thanks for indulging me on this - we've been so tied to a six-day workweek for our whole lives,
      that we are welcoming the chance to be outdoors more, but I'm sure by now you can tell that we're
      really novices, despite our age!

      The Truly Educated Never Graduate

    • Jamie D.
      Message 68 of 68 , Dec 18, 2007
        Yep, a copious amount of clean water used to flush a wound (at
        pressure if possible) is really all you need. some studies suggest
        it's even potentially more destructive to the injured tissue to use
        peroxide or other anit-bacterial cleaning agents.

        Huh, good old mother nature provided H2O, how about that.

        Another thing I find really interesting is that according to the
        rescue peeps I've talked to most rescues occur within a 72 hour
        period. That has changed the way I look at my "survival" kit.

        Jamie in AZ

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...>
        > Thanks for the info I will definately add the women's sanitary pad
        and remove the towlettes now that I know this. The reason I went with
        clorox as a water treatment is that I remember reading in one of the
        outdoor magazines or survival shows that overdosing iodine can be
        potentially deadly where as the clorox has a bit more of a higher
        fudge factor. another thing I thought of is that since I carry the
        alcohol couldn't I dilute a bit of the gel in a bit of water and come
        up with an applicalble antiseptic if needed? For the most part I guess
        I always figured that I would just use my treated water as a flush if
        I needed one.