Re: [Hammock Camping] Survival/emergency topics, was Solar Stills

  • Linda Ellis
    Message 1 of 68 , Dec 2, 2007
      --- Tod Massa <todmassa@...> wrote:
      > I think you are worrying way too much about animals. I have yet in three years of hammocking to
      > be even approached by an animal while in a hammock - and I typically wake four or five times a
      > night. Rarely such things happen, but it is very rare. Probably the biggest thing to worry would
      > be porcupines taking your shoes during the night.

      Now, see, this is really helpful! At the moment, I'm doing research, and to hear that real
      encounters are more rare than I'm thinking is very helpful!

      > If you are relying on a hammock to preserve your life and comfort if you are stranded for a
      > night in temperate weather, I think you are making a mistake. Without a tarp, without something
      > to keep you warm, if the nighttime temp drops much below 70, you could end up being very cold
      > and uncomfortable.

      I never intended to have a hammock alone. At the very least, we'll have those silver emergency
      blankets with us that can be used for tarps, and extra clothing layers. It all depends on the
      tripe we've planned. But, that's why I'm here - your comments are helpful in considering the
      balance between the weight we'd have to carry for a given trip, and the safety requirements we
      want to meet....

      > Far better would be a poncho and poncho liner with 50ft of parachute cord.
      > For less than two lbs you are in a much better situation to survive a range of changing
      > conditions.

      Got the poncho, as mentioned above, and the parachute cord. I have been thinking of carrying the
      poncho/cord IN ADDITION TO the hammock - not INSTEAD OF....

      > Would I take my full set-up on a day hike when I expected to return to base camp? Probably not,
      > unless it was dead of winter at elevation, and I had doubts regarding my ability to keep to
      > schedule. However, I would carry a poncho liner, nylon tarp, para cord, and my usual
      > essentials...basically the same thing I have in my backpack when I go hunting.
      >>
      > In the end, I think hammocking is for comfort and somewhat increased flexibility. Certainly
      > there are places you can hang where you can't tent but the reverse is most certainly true once
      > you leave the woodlands. Staying warm is a real issue. I have worked on my setup to manage temps
      > in the teens, but when it goes below that, I think real hard about my plans.

      Again, my husband and I are mostly planning for emergencies in temperate conditions. We are
      retiring and planning to chase 70 degrees around the country as much as we can! I can appreciate
      your concerns at substantially lower temps, though. We are working with the average 70-degree
      day, but prepped for lower temps for a night to deal with a crisis in the field.

      > There is a rule of threes that some folks use for survival situations: You can go
      > - three hours without shelter
      > - three days without water
      > - three weeks without food.

      Yep, got that one, except I'd add the need for fire between shelter and water.

      > Shelter means warmth and protection from the elements. If you want that from a hammock, you are
      > talking about a self-contained product like the Hennessy. Minimum weight, without anything to
      > keep you warm is going to be at least 18 oz, assuming the Adventure Racer meets your needs. From
      > there the weights go up. Yes, you could perhaps just add a space blanket and be set. ..but for
      > me, that means high summer only.

      Again, are you talking about emergency situations, where you find yourself stuck unexpectedly?
      Remember that guy a year or two ago who was climbing alone, and got his arm stuck between some
      rocks? Ended up cutting off his own arm to get free. I bet he wishes he had a decent whistle
      with him. Please remember, I'm talking about an unexpected need for a night out, so the balance
      must be maintained between the weight we'll carry and the probability of needing it.

      > I do get concerned when people say they will only go out on "pleasant days." I have seen way
      > too many (100+) some days who go hiking in national parks on pleasant days in jeans and cotton
      > t-shirts with little else. Most of the time, they get away with it...however, just two weeks ago
      > it took a number of people to get young man down from Old Rag in SNP with a broken collar-bone.
      > If there had not been literally 200 or more people spread out on an 8 mile trail, it could have
      > been worse.

      Understood. That's why we want to be better prepared than just a t-shirt and jeans. For sure,
      our packs will be better than that.

      > Whatever setup you decide to use, test it! First in your backyard, then in the wild. You will
      > need to know what the warmth limits are, and what you need to do to be comfortable. Hanging low
      > and piling leaves or pine straw underneath will help. You may be just fine with the absolute
      > minimum you are proposing, but I don't think I would be.

      A great idea! We tend to test our stuff out at our "base camp," which is where we have generally
      parked our trailer for the summer, in a private campground complete with water and electric at the
      site, and a good shower house. That way, if something doesn't work, we have no risk at all.
      We're on to phase II for most things - that is, taking it out onto a trail, and checking out
      whether it works for us in the overall scheme of things.

      Linda
      The Truly Educated Never Graduate
    • Jamie D.
      Message 68 of 68 , Dec 18, 2007
        Yep, a copious amount of clean water used to flush a wound (at
        pressure if possible) is really all you need. some studies suggest
        it's even potentially more destructive to the injured tissue to use
        peroxide or other anit-bacterial cleaning agents.

        Huh, good old mother nature provided H2O, how about that.

        Another thing I find really interesting is that according to the
        rescue peeps I've talked to most rescues occur within a 72 hour
        period. That has changed the way I look at my "survival" kit.

        Jamie in AZ

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks for the info I will definately add the women's sanitary pad
        and remove the towlettes now that I know this. The reason I went with
        clorox as a water treatment is that I remember reading in one of the
        outdoor magazines or survival shows that overdosing iodine can be
        potentially deadly where as the clorox has a bit more of a higher
        fudge factor. another thing I thought of is that since I carry the
        alcohol couldn't I dilute a bit of the gel in a bit of water and come
        up with an applicalble antiseptic if needed? For the most part I guess
        I always figured that I would just use my treated water as a flush if
        I needed one.