Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Survival/emergency topics, was Solar Stills

  • Mark Bayern
    Message 1 of 68 , Dec 2, 2007
      >>"In this situation, we're interested in surviving the night and
      limping out the next day, but we
      want to be close enough to see other people walking the trail who may
      be able to help, if
      necessary.

      ahhh! Why not hang across the trail? Anyone (and everyone) on the
      trail will find you.

      You also need to remember that it is much harder to keep warm in a
      hammock. There is air circulation all around you. This is very nice on
      those hot, hot summer nights, but can be a problem once the temps get
      anything near cool.

      Mark
    • Jamie D.
      Message 68 of 68 , Dec 18, 2007
        Yep, a copious amount of clean water used to flush a wound (at
        pressure if possible) is really all you need. some studies suggest
        it's even potentially more destructive to the injured tissue to use
        peroxide or other anit-bacterial cleaning agents.

        Huh, good old mother nature provided H2O, how about that.

        Another thing I find really interesting is that according to the
        rescue peeps I've talked to most rescues occur within a 72 hour
        period. That has changed the way I look at my "survival" kit.

        Jamie in AZ

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks for the info I will definately add the women's sanitary pad
        and remove the towlettes now that I know this. The reason I went with
        clorox as a water treatment is that I remember reading in one of the
        outdoor magazines or survival shows that overdosing iodine can be
        potentially deadly where as the clorox has a bit more of a higher
        fudge factor. another thing I thought of is that since I carry the
        alcohol couldn't I dilute a bit of the gel in a bit of water and come
        up with an applicalble antiseptic if needed? For the most part I guess
        I always figured that I would just use my treated water as a flush if
        I needed one.