Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Survival/emergency topics, was Solar Stills

  • Linda Ellis
    Message 1 of 68 , Dec 2, 2007
      --- dt king <whipmaker@...> wrote:
      > Avoiding a dangerous survival situation is a far underrated skill.
      > Most often, experienced trekkers don't need to start a fire with
      > sticks, because they brought three other ways of making a fire.

      This is exactly why we're doing our planning! We've been accumulating various gear for quite some
      time, and practicing their use at our "permanent" campsite in a private campground. We've got
      propane fire starters, wind/stormproof butane lighters, small Bic lighters, and those one-handed
      Swiss sparkers - and we've tested all of them!

      Likewise with building shelters; carrying food and water; and so on. Just last month, we tried
      out the pocket chain saw. We now know we can cut wood with it, if need be.

      > The most dangerous hike you will ever undertake will start out as a
      > short day hike. People going out for an afternoon in the woods don't
      > pack the essentials for making it through the night, so missteps turn
      > into tragedies.

      This is exactly our opinion. We're actually working on packing a "bare essentials" kit for short
      hikes - say, three hours or less. Then, add-ons for day hikes - this is where we'll pack the
      hammock. Even more gear when kayaking or rafting or wilderness sightseeing by plane or other
      vehicle, where carrying the weight isn't so much of an issue, but there may be other people along
      who won't be so prepared...

      > Don't hit the trail without the minimum gear to survive the night for
      > each of you. Know how to use it without thinking. Hypothermia and
      > dehydration make everybody stupid.

      That's the plan. I really like the hammock for the flexibility of being able to set up a basic
      camp in places that wouldn't be suitable for ground sleeping. We've been taking short hikes
      lately, observing our environment, and practicing "what if" thinking. If one of us were injured,
      where could we set up a basic "camp"? Where could we hang the hammocks? Build a fire? Get
      water? It's an interesting exercise, and it seems on each hike we come up with something else to
      think about when planning the next one...

      But back to my original question - has anybody here had experience hammock camping in areas with
      potential predators, like bears, coyote, etc? It makes sense to me that hammocks can be set up
      away from established camps, thereby mitigating the opportunistic animal who has become accustomed
      to going to the established sites for food. But has anybody been in a hammock and had an
      encounter with an animal that happened upon them accidentally? What has the animal done? Do you
      keep bear spray handy? Does being in the hammock help - or inhibit - your ability to react?

      Thanks!

      Linda
      The Truly Educated Never Graduate
    • Jamie D.
      Message 68 of 68 , Dec 18, 2007
        Yep, a copious amount of clean water used to flush a wound (at
        pressure if possible) is really all you need. some studies suggest
        it's even potentially more destructive to the injured tissue to use
        peroxide or other anit-bacterial cleaning agents.

        Huh, good old mother nature provided H2O, how about that.

        Another thing I find really interesting is that according to the
        rescue peeps I've talked to most rescues occur within a 72 hour
        period. That has changed the way I look at my "survival" kit.

        Jamie in AZ

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks for the info I will definately add the women's sanitary pad
        and remove the towlettes now that I know this. The reason I went with
        clorox as a water treatment is that I remember reading in one of the
        outdoor magazines or survival shows that overdosing iodine can be
        potentially deadly where as the clorox has a bit more of a higher
        fudge factor. another thing I thought of is that since I carry the
        alcohol couldn't I dilute a bit of the gel in a bit of water and come
        up with an applicalble antiseptic if needed? For the most part I guess
        I always figured that I would just use my treated water as a flush if
        I needed one.