snug fit underquilt.

  • David Fox III
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2007
      I am now the proud owner of a snugfit underquilt for my speer 8.5 hammock. I like the way it attaches with the hook and loop and the bug net can still be used.. Anyone ever use snakeskins on the combination hammock and underquilt? I am thinking of making a pair and would like input on size to make the snakeskins. They appear to be tapered. Should they meet or overlap in the center? does one need a thumb-loop sort of tab to pull them together? I am planning to store the underquilt loosly in the plastic bag when I'm not on the trail.
      Thanks,
      Dave Fox

    • C C Wayah
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2007
        David,
        Do not store a feathered insulation system in a plastic bag.
        The feathers need to breath and loft for optimal long term storage.
        Repeat treat and store the under as a down sleeping bag. Large cotton/linen
        pillow type case would be best

        Snake skins, some of the ladies on womenhiker lists who sew have tried to
        made them. Many have found It's best to take some discarded fabric and make
        several 2 inch wide circles to determine what diameter is best for this as
        your tying to compress the feathered underquilt with the hammock as if they
        are one piece. That way your have a good idea which diameter you want the
        finished snake skins. I like the loop idea to help pull the two halved
        together in theory might not work well with the bulk of the underquilt. I'd
        make then to over lap a bit with some sort of closure possibly Velcro as
        your tying to contain
        a feathered stuffed item and I'd make it with a breathable fabric for the
        down to compress efficiently.
        Just some thoughts on your questions. Trial and error will tell you what you
        need the most though.

        Rogene

        .