Re: Solar Stills,etc.

  • Jamie D.
    Message 1 of 68 , Nov 29, 2007
      Anyone that ventures into the backcountry, hammocker or not, is a
      potential survivalist. I think it's perfectly relevant.

      jamie in AZ

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "nessmuk15" <jonesda1@...>
      wrote:

      > Haven't we gotten a bit off topic here? Much of this discussion
      > should be on a survival site it seems to me.

    • Jamie D.
      Message 68 of 68 , Dec 18, 2007
        Yep, a copious amount of clean water used to flush a wound (at
        pressure if possible) is really all you need. some studies suggest
        it's even potentially more destructive to the injured tissue to use
        peroxide or other anit-bacterial cleaning agents.

        Huh, good old mother nature provided H2O, how about that.

        Another thing I find really interesting is that according to the
        rescue peeps I've talked to most rescues occur within a 72 hour
        period. That has changed the way I look at my "survival" kit.

        Jamie in AZ

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks for the info I will definately add the women's sanitary pad
        and remove the towlettes now that I know this. The reason I went with
        clorox as a water treatment is that I remember reading in one of the
        outdoor magazines or survival shows that overdosing iodine can be
        potentially deadly where as the clorox has a bit more of a higher
        fudge factor. another thing I thought of is that since I carry the
        alcohol couldn't I dilute a bit of the gel in a bit of water and come
        up with an applicalble antiseptic if needed? For the most part I guess
        I always figured that I would just use my treated water as a flush if
        I needed one.