[Hammock Camping] Re: female 'pee bottles' was Panda High Peak as a sleep...

  • Jamie D.
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 29, 2007
      Hi Rick,

      What's the book you are reading, if you don't mind sharing the
      title. I really enjoyed Cody Lundin's "98.7 Degrees, the Art of
      Keeping your Ass Alive". I think he mentions something about the
      solar still not being worth it too.

      jamie

      > Best idea is to try this out before deciding to rely on it. The
      amount
      > of sweat spent in digging a hole 3 foot wide and 3 foot deep is
      amazing,
      > especially when one has no shovel. I have tried using smaller set-
      ups.
      > They have always been disappointing. The essential design
      criteria is
      > that the slope of the plastic needs to be steep enough so that the
      water
      > runs off it.
      >
      > I am reading a desert survival book this week. In that book, the
      solar
      > still is called idol worship. It seems like a good idea, but does
      not
      > accomplish much.
      >
      > Rick

    • Jamie D.
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 29, 2007
        Probably wont have this with me, I would say that's a definitely.
        THat thing was certainly not invented with the hiker in mind. hahaha!

        In the Sonoran Desert, unless you are near a wash the chances of a
        person, that mind you is trying to conserve their energy, digging a 3
        ft hole without a shovel is almost nil. The ground out here is quite
        hard, in fact they have issues getting through it with heavy machinery
        sometimes.

        I'd be included to do the plastic bag thing tied around a Mesquite or
        Palo Verde. Of course if you have a plastic bag and if you have a
        tree near by, the tiny amount of water you get is only going to keep
        you alive long enough to realy start aggonizing over the fact you are
        screwed!!! No H20 in the desert is a BIG problemo.

        jamie

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 30, 2007
          Desert Survival Skills by David Alloway