the taco thing

  • simva4040
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2003
      Dawn,
      I have two HH's, both ultalight backpack a-syms and I have done
      extensive experimentation with 'underquilts' and tacos...both work
      and now I use both in combination.
      My first experiment was with the construction of an underquilt
      like 'not frozen's' and Dennis Klinsky's...I got into the hammock and
      had a friends wife measure at various circumferences..the finished
      product took time and effort but was a revelation concerning the cold
      bottom. It was made of cheapo nylon and fiber insulation from the
      Walmart bargain bin...I used it close to the Albert Mtn. shelter on
      the AT in a hard driving cold rain. I slept so well I overslept but
      upon waking noticed that in the horizontal rain part of the
      underquilt was wet...not wet enough to create a cold spot though.
      My next attempt was at a Garlingont Taco and used sil-nyl via Outdoor
      wilderness Fabrics in conjuction with Radian-tec, a fabric I learned
      about from the ultralightweight backpacker site-it came from a lady
      named Bernice in Canada but dont ask me where or how to contact
      her...regardless the Radiantek was cut to fit the rough taco shape,
      the taco had a slit sewn into it that matched the slit of the
      Hennessey and the cords were placed in a channel running down both
      sides. I didnt like the idea of pulling up the foot cord through the
      HH slit so I tie my taco off at each end. The slit we made closes on
      its own like the HH's slit.
      With the taco (tested again on the AT on a section from Little Wolfe
      Creek to Pearisburg for two nights-50 miles in 3 days) I now had the
      option of stuffing anything else in my pack under me for extra
      insulation. I always carry a WM Flight Jacket even in the summer
      (yesterdays low here in Bristol TN was 51 so imagine what it was like
      on top of Roan High Knob 6208 feet), so it and other clothes go below.
      After all was said and done the taco is the way to go for these
      reasons:
      simple to sew---anyone can do this, even my daughter
      put it on or take it off----depending on ambient temps of course
      and depending on rain, if sil-nyl it weighs close to 9oz...not
      bad to have as a ground cloth or emergency bivy for someone else
      if it happens to be so warm you dont need it under your hammock
      (and incidentally I sleep in a hammock at home, bought a Walmart
      cheapo hammock stand which turned out to be quite nice (60ish$)
      and have to have something under me inside or I get cold!!!0
      The Taco of course blocks horizontal rain and wind/convective heat
      loss and holds any insulation you may have or find.
      My next HH progression is probably to carry a larger tarp- 8x10 maybe
      and enjoy the luxury of a major covered space underneath for only a
      few more ounces.
      I have been section hiking the AT for 32 years, do a section monthly,
      have done many sections (example Sams Gap to Spivey Gap) 17
      times...my linear contiguous accumulation is currently from Springer
      to Pearisburg and I hope to be at Roanoke by first of the year but
      get interrupted by other trips (last week flew out to Big Bend and
      Guadalupe National Parks for Emory Peak and Guadalupe
      Peak)...nevertheless I am a life hiker (differing from thru-hikers
      and section hikers in that I hike and hike and hike (well we sea
      kayak too, 3 weeks ago did the Ashepoo River and Capers Island near
      Charleston), so it doesnt matter to repeat sections over and over
      again-they are always different!
      But back to the hammock-def. the greatest thing to hiking in a long
      long time!
      Simva the Medicine Man
      p.s.
      come to www.whiteblaze.net for good AT discussion
      and www.paddling.net for the same but with a bent on canoes and kayaks
    • tcoug7
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "simva4040" <simva4040@y...>
        wrote:

        Excellent post Medicine Man....thanks! I agree with you as far as
        the taco goes. I'm making a new taco now. I was originally using my
        backpacker poncho - trying to use it for multiple uses. I'm making
        one now that's more the *correct* shape. I like your idea of the
        slit like the HH. Do you find this to be a pain? Does it get caught
        on each other?

        Tim