Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: female 'pee bottles' was Panda High Peak as a sleep...

  • amendment2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 27, 2007
      Almost, in a solar still, you line around the inside with the urine and
      other moisture bearing vegetation. In the center you put a clean container and the
      distilled water condenses on the plastic, runs to the low point, drips into
      the clean container. Best idea is to put a long small diameter hose from the
      inside bottom of the container up to the outside of the still so you can
      drink the water without disturbing the distilling action of the still.

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 27, 2007
        Ah. My mistake.

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 27, 2007
          In a message dated 11/27/2007 9:27:31 AM Central Standard Time,
          madmo453@... writes:

          Ah. My mistake.

          I actually tried it in my younger days for fun and it DOES work. Really kind
          of cool. I would like to meet the person with the mind to first think of it.

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 27, 2007
            Best idea is to try this out before deciding to rely on it. The amount
            of sweat spent in digging a hole 3 foot wide and 3 foot deep is amazing,
            especially when one has no shovel. I have tried using smaller set-ups.
            They have always been disappointing. The essential design criteria is
            that the slope of the plastic needs to be steep enough so that the water
            runs off it.

            I am reading a desert survival book this week. In that book, the solar
            still is called idol worship. It seems like a good idea, but does not
            accomplish much.

            Rick

            amendment2@... wrote:
            > Almost, in a solar still, you line around the inside with the urine and
            > other moisture bearing vegetation. In the center you put a clean container and the
            > distilled water condenses on the plastic, runs to the low point, drips into
            > the clean container. Best idea is to put a long small diameter hose from the
            > inside bottom of the container up to the outside of the still so you can
            > drink the water without disturbing the distilling action of the still.

          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 27, 2007
              Maybe digging a 3 foot radius X 3 foot deep isn't necessary.

              This company produced a really cute design of a solar still
              <http://www.watercone.com/product.html>. The problem is, you probably
              won't have it with you in a survival situation--that's always the
              problem with survival situations!

              Plastic bags, however, are practically ubiquitous. I can't help but
              think there must be some way to work it with a plastic bag--something
              along the lines of getting water out of trees.

              CL

              Rick wrote:
              > Best idea is to try this out before deciding to rely on it. The amount
              > of sweat spent in digging a hole 3 foot wide and 3 foot deep is amazing,
              > especially when one has no shovel. I have tried using smaller set-ups.
              > They have always been disappointing. The essential design criteria is
              > that the slope of the plastic needs to be steep enough so that the water
              > runs off it.
              >
              > I am reading a desert survival book this week. In that book, the solar
              > still is called idol worship. It seems like a good idea, but does not
              > accomplish much.
              >
              > Rick
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 28, 2007
                I should point out that Les Stroud used this technique as only PART of his
                efforts at gathering water and he dug the hole in sand using only his hands.
                The sweat equity was minimal and he didn't completely rely on the still for
                water.

                On 12/28/07, C C Wayah <ccwayah@...> wrote:

                > Interesting concept. Now if you could get multi use out of one and
                > adapted
                > it for boiling brackish water/urine so you get water faster in an
                > emergency
                > and combine it with a titanium/backpacking cookpot system?
                > I'm thinking a zipstove with a caldera cone??
                > It would not be engergy efficient but useful for a hiker with a zip with
                > unlimited old dead fallen wood.
                > Oh well just thinking.
                >
                > Rogene.
                > Thanks Cara
                >
                > Maybe digging a 3 foot radius X 3 foot deep isn't necessary. This company
                > produced a really cute design of a solar still
                > > <http://www.watercone.com/product.html>. The problem is, you probably
                > > won't have it with you in a survival situation--that's always the
                > problem
                > > with survival situations!

              • Jamie D.
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 29, 2007
                  Hi Rick,

                  What's the book you are reading, if you don't mind sharing the
                  title. I really enjoyed Cody Lundin's "98.7 Degrees, the Art of
                  Keeping your Ass Alive". I think he mentions something about the
                  solar still not being worth it too.

                  jamie

                  > Best idea is to try this out before deciding to rely on it. The
                  amount
                  > of sweat spent in digging a hole 3 foot wide and 3 foot deep is
                  amazing,
                  > especially when one has no shovel. I have tried using smaller set-
                  ups.
                  > They have always been disappointing. The essential design
                  criteria is
                  > that the slope of the plastic needs to be steep enough so that the
                  water
                  > runs off it.
                  >
                  > I am reading a desert survival book this week. In that book, the
                  solar
                  > still is called idol worship. It seems like a good idea, but does
                  not
                  > accomplish much.
                  >
                  > Rick

                • Jamie D.
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 29, 2007
                    Probably wont have this with me, I would say that's a definitely.
                    THat thing was certainly not invented with the hiker in mind. hahaha!

                    In the Sonoran Desert, unless you are near a wash the chances of a
                    person, that mind you is trying to conserve their energy, digging a 3
                    ft hole without a shovel is almost nil. The ground out here is quite
                    hard, in fact they have issues getting through it with heavy machinery
                    sometimes.

                    I'd be included to do the plastic bag thing tied around a Mesquite or
                    Palo Verde. Of course if you have a plastic bag and if you have a
                    tree near by, the tiny amount of water you get is only going to keep
                    you alive long enough to realy start aggonizing over the fact you are
                    screwed!!! No H20 in the desert is a BIG problemo.

                    jamie

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 30, 2007
                      Desert Survival Skills by David Alloway

                      Thus far a pretty good read.

                      Rick

                      Jamie D. wrote:
                      > Hi Rick,
                      >
                      > What's the book you are reading, if you don't mind sharing the
                      > title. I really enjoyed Cody Lundin's "98.7 Degrees, the Art of
                      > Keeping your Ass Alive". I think he mentions something about the
                      > solar still not being worth it too.
                      >
                      > jamie
                      >
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
                      >> Best idea is to try this out before deciding to rely on it. The
                      > amount
                      >> of sweat spent in digging a hole 3 foot wide and 3 foot deep is
                      > amazing,
                      >> especially when one has no shovel. I have tried using smaller set-
                      > ups.
                      >> They have always been disappointing. The essential design
                      > criteria is
                      >> that the slope of the plastic needs to be steep enough so that the
                      > water
                      >> runs off it.
                      >>
                      >> I am reading a desert survival book this week. In that book, the
                      > solar
                      >> still is called idol worship. It seems like a good idea, but does
                      > not
                      >> accomplish much.
                      >>
                      >> Rick
                      >>

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links