Re: New guy asks "How's the winter "Undercover/Underpad" fold up?

  • Jeff Ross
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 19, 2007
      I also have a Hennesey Explorer with the undercover. When I stow it
      I just leave it all rigged and cram the hammock, undercover foam and
      nylon, ropes, guy lines, everything into the stuff sack. Unfishing
      all the guy lines, disassembling everything, and then putting it all
      back together next time is just too much for me. I guess I'm just
      lazy. But it seems to work ok that way for me. I don't think the
      original stuff sack that held the hammock and rain fly was big
      enough to do this way. I think I've got a bigger one now. The rain
      fly and some plastic stakes, bungies, and the tree saver straps go
      together in the original stuff sack.

      One thing I've learned the hard way is to use small bungies to
      attach my guy lines to the stakes, rocks or tree limbs. When I (or
      one of my packgoats) stumbles across a guy line in the dark, the
      bungies keep the lines and hammock or rainfly nylon from getting
      tore up. If you're not a clumsy oaf like me, tho, you may not need
      to do this.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rod hamilton <rhtreo@...>
      wrote:

      > I recently purchased the Explorer Deluxe Hennessy hammock and
      have two nights of suspended animation (Ha!) under my belt (butt?).
      Although I know I have a lot yet to learn, I'm sold. As is my
      camping buddy. (He's waiting for Christmas, hoping for a Lawson.)

      > My initial attraction was the compact nature of the HH, as I
      dream of some long distance, motorcycle camping. The idea of
      replacing my sleeping bag with the Undercover and Underpad sounds
      great; provided they fold up better than a sleeping bag.

      > Any thoughts on this from the group? On motorcycle camping in
      general? Or the merits of the Hennessy vs Lawson hammock tents?