New guy asks "How's the winter "Undercover/Underpad" fold up?

  • rod hamilton
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 16, 2007
      I recently purchased the Explorer Deluxe Hennessy hammock and have two nights of suspended animation (Ha!) under my belt (butt?). Although I know I have a lot yet to learn, I'm sold. As is my camping buddy. (He's waiting for Christmas, hoping for a Lawson.)

      My initial attraction was the compact nature of the HH, as I dream of some long distance, motorcycle camping. The idea of replacing my sleeping bag with the Undercover and Underpad sounds great; provided they fold up better than a sleeping bag.

      Any thoughts on this from the group? On motorcycle camping in general? Or the merits of the Hennessy vs Lawson hammock tents?

      Thanks in advance. Rhtreo

    • Jeff Ross
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 19, 2007
        I also have a Hennesey Explorer with the undercover. When I stow it
        I just leave it all rigged and cram the hammock, undercover foam and
        nylon, ropes, guy lines, everything into the stuff sack. Unfishing
        all the guy lines, disassembling everything, and then putting it all
        back together next time is just too much for me. I guess I'm just
        lazy. But it seems to work ok that way for me. I don't think the
        original stuff sack that held the hammock and rain fly was big
        enough to do this way. I think I've got a bigger one now. The rain
        fly and some plastic stakes, bungies, and the tree saver straps go
        together in the original stuff sack.

        One thing I've learned the hard way is to use small bungies to
        attach my guy lines to the stakes, rocks or tree limbs. When I (or
        one of my packgoats) stumbles across a guy line in the dark, the
        bungies keep the lines and hammock or rainfly nylon from getting
        tore up. If you're not a clumsy oaf like me, tho, you may not need
        to do this.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rod hamilton <rhtreo@...>