[Hammock Camping] Re: Was tripping over black guylines: Now Stealth Hammock Camp

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 14, 2007
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Nightwalker
      <Nightwalker.AT@...> wrote:

      > >Speaking of that
      > > movie, I have camped on the Chattooga River where some of that movie
      > > was filmed many times, including a few nights after that incident, and
      > > have never met anyone remotely threatening in anyway what so ever.
      > >
      > > Dave Womble
      > > aka Youngblood 2000
      > > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
      > > WinterTarp.
      > >
      > FHT, or further South?
      >
      > Frank Looper/Nightwalker

      The Chattooga Trail encompasses the Foothills Trail and the Bartram
      Trail along the Chattooga River. I've backpacked all of them along
      the river at one time or another. The Chattooga Trail goes south from
      the GA/NC/SC border about 37 miles to US76.

      Dave
    • rod hamilton
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 16, 2007
        I recently purchased the Explorer Deluxe Hennessy hammock and have two nights of suspended animation (Ha!) under my belt (butt?). Although I know I have a lot yet to learn, I'm sold. As is my camping buddy. (He's waiting for Christmas, hoping for a Lawson.)

        My initial attraction was the compact nature of the HH, as I dream of some long distance, motorcycle camping. The idea of replacing my sleeping bag with the Undercover and Underpad sounds great; provided they fold up better than a sleeping bag.

        Any thoughts on this from the group? On motorcycle camping in general? Or the merits of the Hennessy vs Lawson hammock tents?

        Thanks in advance. Rhtreo

      • Jeff Ross
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 19, 2007
          I also have a Hennesey Explorer with the undercover. When I stow it
          I just leave it all rigged and cram the hammock, undercover foam and
          nylon, ropes, guy lines, everything into the stuff sack. Unfishing
          all the guy lines, disassembling everything, and then putting it all
          back together next time is just too much for me. I guess I'm just
          lazy. But it seems to work ok that way for me. I don't think the
          original stuff sack that held the hammock and rain fly was big
          enough to do this way. I think I've got a bigger one now. The rain
          fly and some plastic stakes, bungies, and the tree saver straps go
          together in the original stuff sack.

          One thing I've learned the hard way is to use small bungies to
          attach my guy lines to the stakes, rocks or tree limbs. When I (or
          one of my packgoats) stumbles across a guy line in the dark, the
          bungies keep the lines and hammock or rainfly nylon from getting
          tore up. If you're not a clumsy oaf like me, tho, you may not need
          to do this.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rod hamilton <rhtreo@...>