Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Was tripping over black guylines: Now Stealth Hammock Camp

  • Nightwalker
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 14, 2007
      >Speaking of that
      > movie, I have camped on the Chattooga River where some of that movie
      > was filmed many times, including a few nights after that incident, and
      > have never met anyone remotely threatening in anyway what so ever.
      >
      > Dave Womble
      > aka Youngblood 2000
      > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
      > WinterTarp.

      FHT, or further South?

      Frank Looper/Nightwalker
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 14, 2007
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Nightwalker
        <Nightwalker.AT@...> wrote:

        > >Speaking of that
        > > movie, I have camped on the Chattooga River where some of that movie
        > > was filmed many times, including a few nights after that incident, and
        > > have never met anyone remotely threatening in anyway what so ever.
        > >
        > > Dave Womble
        > > aka Youngblood 2000
        > > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
        > > WinterTarp.
        > >
        > FHT, or further South?
        >
        > Frank Looper/Nightwalker

        The Chattooga Trail encompasses the Foothills Trail and the Bartram
        Trail along the Chattooga River. I've backpacked all of them along
        the river at one time or another. The Chattooga Trail goes south from
        the GA/NC/SC border about 37 miles to US76.

        Dave
      • rod hamilton
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 16, 2007
          I recently purchased the Explorer Deluxe Hennessy hammock and have two nights of suspended animation (Ha!) under my belt (butt?). Although I know I have a lot yet to learn, I'm sold. As is my camping buddy. (He's waiting for Christmas, hoping for a Lawson.)

          My initial attraction was the compact nature of the HH, as I dream of some long distance, motorcycle camping. The idea of replacing my sleeping bag with the Undercover and Underpad sounds great; provided they fold up better than a sleeping bag.

          Any thoughts on this from the group? On motorcycle camping in general? Or the merits of the Hennessy vs Lawson hammock tents?

          Thanks in advance. Rhtreo

        • Jeff Ross
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 19, 2007
            I also have a Hennesey Explorer with the undercover. When I stow it
            I just leave it all rigged and cram the hammock, undercover foam and
            nylon, ropes, guy lines, everything into the stuff sack. Unfishing
            all the guy lines, disassembling everything, and then putting it all
            back together next time is just too much for me. I guess I'm just
            lazy. But it seems to work ok that way for me. I don't think the
            original stuff sack that held the hammock and rain fly was big
            enough to do this way. I think I've got a bigger one now. The rain
            fly and some plastic stakes, bungies, and the tree saver straps go
            together in the original stuff sack.

            One thing I've learned the hard way is to use small bungies to
            attach my guy lines to the stakes, rocks or tree limbs. When I (or
            one of my packgoats) stumbles across a guy line in the dark, the
            bungies keep the lines and hammock or rainfly nylon from getting
            tore up. If you're not a clumsy oaf like me, tho, you may not need
            to do this.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rod hamilton <rhtreo@...>