[Hammock Camping] Re: Was tripping over black guylines: Now Stealth Hammock Camp

  • Bill Keiser
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 14, 2007
      > We got woke up about 1am in the morning by about two dozen rounds
      > fired off in a few single fire rapid bursts, . . .

      > . . . Joe and I found a couple of discarded ammo belts on
      > the side of the trail of that area that were army issue, one was empty
      > and the other had live blanks.
      ############ bs - i would have taken those belts down to the local
      army base or wherever they come from and toss them on a desk and file
      a complaint for inappropriate shooting AND littering.

      > . . . Now if it was folks like out of the movie
      > "Deliverance", that would be a different matter. Speaking of that
      > movie, I have camped on the Chattooga River where some of that movie
      > was filmed many times, including a few nights after that incident, and
      > have never met anyone remotely threatening in anyway what so ever.
      ############ bs - that's what everyone says, those who come back out
      anyway.
    • Nightwalker
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 14, 2007
        >Speaking of that
        > movie, I have camped on the Chattooga River where some of that movie
        > was filmed many times, including a few nights after that incident, and
        > have never met anyone remotely threatening in anyway what so ever.
        >
        > Dave Womble
        > aka Youngblood 2000
        > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
        > WinterTarp.

        FHT, or further South?

        Frank Looper/Nightwalker
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 14, 2007
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Nightwalker
          <Nightwalker.AT@...> wrote:

          > >Speaking of that
          > > movie, I have camped on the Chattooga River where some of that movie
          > > was filmed many times, including a few nights after that incident, and
          > > have never met anyone remotely threatening in anyway what so ever.
          > >
          > > Dave Womble
          > > aka Youngblood 2000
          > > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
          > > WinterTarp.
          > >
          > FHT, or further South?
          >
          > Frank Looper/Nightwalker

          The Chattooga Trail encompasses the Foothills Trail and the Bartram
          Trail along the Chattooga River. I've backpacked all of them along
          the river at one time or another. The Chattooga Trail goes south from
          the GA/NC/SC border about 37 miles to US76.

          Dave
        • rod hamilton
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 16, 2007
            I recently purchased the Explorer Deluxe Hennessy hammock and have two nights of suspended animation (Ha!) under my belt (butt?). Although I know I have a lot yet to learn, I'm sold. As is my camping buddy. (He's waiting for Christmas, hoping for a Lawson.)

            My initial attraction was the compact nature of the HH, as I dream of some long distance, motorcycle camping. The idea of replacing my sleeping bag with the Undercover and Underpad sounds great; provided they fold up better than a sleeping bag.

            Any thoughts on this from the group? On motorcycle camping in general? Or the merits of the Hennessy vs Lawson hammock tents?

            Thanks in advance. Rhtreo

          • Jeff Ross
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 19, 2007
              I also have a Hennesey Explorer with the undercover. When I stow it
              I just leave it all rigged and cram the hammock, undercover foam and
              nylon, ropes, guy lines, everything into the stuff sack. Unfishing
              all the guy lines, disassembling everything, and then putting it all
              back together next time is just too much for me. I guess I'm just
              lazy. But it seems to work ok that way for me. I don't think the
              original stuff sack that held the hammock and rain fly was big
              enough to do this way. I think I've got a bigger one now. The rain
              fly and some plastic stakes, bungies, and the tree saver straps go
              together in the original stuff sack.

              One thing I've learned the hard way is to use small bungies to
              attach my guy lines to the stakes, rocks or tree limbs. When I (or
              one of my packgoats) stumbles across a guy line in the dark, the
              bungies keep the lines and hammock or rainfly nylon from getting
              tore up. If you're not a clumsy oaf like me, tho, you may not need
              to do this.

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rod hamilton <rhtreo@...>