[Hammock Camping] Re: Was tripping over black guylines: Now Stealth Hammock Camp

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 13, 2007
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Catherine <cproulx@...> wrote:

      > As a woman, I generally try to stealth camp for safety reason,
      > especially if I'm near a logging road or four wheeler trail (which,
      > unfortunately, cannot always be avoided). I'm much more afraid of
      > humans than bears, especially gangs of teenagers going into the woods
      > to get drunk and vandalize lean-tos. But I don't hike in areas where
      > hunting is permitted during hunting season.
      >
      > Catherine

      Wow, I hadn't thought of it that way. There are occasionally
      situations where I don't want to be seen, and then I just get off the
      trail a little ways in an area that seems secluded.

      I was backpacking with Joe a few weeks ago and ran into a similar
      situation, one that I have never had before. We had carried extra
      water and was going to set up camp when we found a descent spot for
      setting up our hammocks on the mountain we were fixing to go over. It
      got late and we found ourselves at a gap where a forest service road
      kisses the trail without finding a good spot to hang. I was thinking
      about camping there and Joe wouldn't have any part of that because
      there was trash, mostly beer cans, where some partying had recently
      been going on. I have camped in gaps like that before in plain site
      but Joe had a good point and I remembered that there was creek down a
      side trail or old roadbed on the topo maps so we ended up in a gully a
      few 100 yards in that direction.

      We got woke up about 1am in the morning by about two dozen rounds
      fired off in a few single fire rapid bursts, coming from the direction
      of that gap. We were down low and never heard any rounds whizzing by
      or hitting anything but it was obviously a little unnerving. We
      didn't shout out that we were down there... I wasn't quite sure I
      wanted to do that or not or whether we were even close enough to be
      heard. We went back to that gap early the morning and no one was
      there so I don't know for sure what happened.

      That was on the AT in Georgia in the area where the Army Rangers have
      maneuvers. I have seen them at that very same gap before and last
      January I was planning on setting up camp when I was hiking in the
      area where Joe and I ended up camping but couldn't/didn't because the
      Rangers were on maneuvers that day and told me they were going to camp
      there when I mentioned that to them. So, it could have been Rangers
      or someone else. Joe and I found a couple of discarded ammo belts on
      the side of the trail of that area that were army issue, one was empty
      and the other had live blanks. I've heard many accounts over the years
      of campers having the daylights scared out of them by the Rangers
      running around firing off rounds in the middle of the night in that
      area. It was probably the Rangers firing off the rounds that night
      and some high school kids that tossed the beer cans, but I don't know
      for sure. We did see a group of high school age kids walking the
      forest service road a day or two later that was picking up trash and
      the beer cans were gone when we passed by that gap on our way out.

      After saying all that, I don't think it mattered whether I had a
      visible campsite in plain site or a campsite that was hard to see in
      plain site since we weren't in plain site of whoever that was. But if
      we had camped at the gap it would have made a difference and in this
      case we would obviously have wanted to be seen with gunfire involved,
      whether it was live rounds from who-knows-who or Army Rangers on
      maneuvers with blanks. Now if it was folks like out of the movie
      "Deliverance", that would be a different matter. Speaking of that
      movie, I have camped on the Chattooga River where some of that movie
      was filmed many times, including a few nights after that incident, and
      have never met anyone remotely threatening in anyway what so ever.

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood 2000
      WinterTarp.
    • Bill Keiser
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 14, 2007
        > We got woke up about 1am in the morning by about two dozen rounds
        > fired off in a few single fire rapid bursts, . . .

        > . . . Joe and I found a couple of discarded ammo belts on
        > the side of the trail of that area that were army issue, one was empty
        > and the other had live blanks.
        ############ bs - i would have taken those belts down to the local
        army base or wherever they come from and toss them on a desk and file
        a complaint for inappropriate shooting AND littering.

        > . . . Now if it was folks like out of the movie
        > "Deliverance", that would be a different matter. Speaking of that
        > movie, I have camped on the Chattooga River where some of that movie
        > was filmed many times, including a few nights after that incident, and
        > have never met anyone remotely threatening in anyway what so ever.
        ############ bs - that's what everyone says, those who come back out
        anyway.
      • Nightwalker
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 14, 2007
          >Speaking of that
          > movie, I have camped on the Chattooga River where some of that movie
          > was filmed many times, including a few nights after that incident, and
          > have never met anyone remotely threatening in anyway what so ever.
          >
          > Dave Womble
          > aka Youngblood 2000
          > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
          > WinterTarp.

          FHT, or further South?

          Frank Looper/Nightwalker
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 14, 2007
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Nightwalker
            <Nightwalker.AT@...> wrote:

            > >Speaking of that
            > > movie, I have camped on the Chattooga River where some of that movie
            > > was filmed many times, including a few nights after that incident, and
            > > have never met anyone remotely threatening in anyway what so ever.
            > >
            > > Dave Womble
            > > aka Youngblood 2000
            > > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
            > > WinterTarp.
            > >
            > FHT, or further South?
            >
            > Frank Looper/Nightwalker

            The Chattooga Trail encompasses the Foothills Trail and the Bartram
            Trail along the Chattooga River. I've backpacked all of them along
            the river at one time or another. The Chattooga Trail goes south from
            the GA/NC/SC border about 37 miles to US76.

            Dave
          • rod hamilton
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 16, 2007
              I recently purchased the Explorer Deluxe Hennessy hammock and have two nights of suspended animation (Ha!) under my belt (butt?). Although I know I have a lot yet to learn, I'm sold. As is my camping buddy. (He's waiting for Christmas, hoping for a Lawson.)

              My initial attraction was the compact nature of the HH, as I dream of some long distance, motorcycle camping. The idea of replacing my sleeping bag with the Undercover and Underpad sounds great; provided they fold up better than a sleeping bag.

              Any thoughts on this from the group? On motorcycle camping in general? Or the merits of the Hennessy vs Lawson hammock tents?

              Thanks in advance. Rhtreo

            • Jeff Ross
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 19, 2007
                I also have a Hennesey Explorer with the undercover. When I stow it
                I just leave it all rigged and cram the hammock, undercover foam and
                nylon, ropes, guy lines, everything into the stuff sack. Unfishing
                all the guy lines, disassembling everything, and then putting it all
                back together next time is just too much for me. I guess I'm just
                lazy. But it seems to work ok that way for me. I don't think the
                original stuff sack that held the hammock and rain fly was big
                enough to do this way. I think I've got a bigger one now. The rain
                fly and some plastic stakes, bungies, and the tree saver straps go
                together in the original stuff sack.

                One thing I've learned the hard way is to use small bungies to
                attach my guy lines to the stakes, rocks or tree limbs. When I (or
                one of my packgoats) stumbles across a guy line in the dark, the
                bungies keep the lines and hammock or rainfly nylon from getting
                tore up. If you're not a clumsy oaf like me, tho, you may not need
                to do this.

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rod hamilton <rhtreo@...>