Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Was tripping over black guylines: Now Stealth Hammock Camping

  • John Wilson
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 9, 2007
      Yes, general dim-light conditions -- dawn, dusk, or heavy overcast --
      is when red can turn into brown. Yellow also used to be a
      recommended safety color, but it was found that it can show up as
      white -- another good color to avoid when deer hunters are around.
      One of the strangest "mistaken for game" cases I ever encountered was
      a hunter who was taking a break and drinking a Pepsi when another
      hunter shot him, thinking the Pepsi can bobbing up and down was a
      turkey's head! If you look at the colors in a tom turkey's head,
      there is a resemblance. Fortunately, the victim wasn't seriously
      injured, unlike another hunter who put a brown plastic garbage bag
      (for a raincoat) over his hunter orange vest, with fatal results.

      I was driving through the Ocala National Forest once during deer
      season and saw a deer up ahead of me, running down the side of the
      road in the same direction I was going. As I got closer, it morphed
      into a jogger with a deer-brown tan. He had taken his white tee
      shirt off and stuck it down the back of his shorts. where it was
      flopping around like a deer's tail. That episode really shook me,
      because if I had been in a tree with a rifle instead of driving down
      the road, I would have shot him, the illusion was that real.

      The moral is to be very careful when you're sharing the woods with
      hunters. You never know what you (or your hammock) will look like to
      them.

      John

      On Nov 9, 2007, at 10:40 , Dave Womble wrote:

      > Thanks for that info, I didn't know that about red showing up as brown
      > in certain lighting conditions. What lighting conditions are those,
      > daybreak and/or sunset?

    • Catherine
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
        As a woman, I generally try to stealth camp for safety reason,
        especially if I'm near a logging road or four wheeler trail (which,
        unfortunately, cannot always be avoided). I'm much more afraid of
        humans than bears, especially gangs of teenagers going into the woods
        to get drunk and vandalize lean-tos. But I don't hike in areas where
        hunting is permitted during hunting season.

        Catherine
      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
          Yeppers! The most dangerous thing out there walks on two legs. If
          equipped with alcohol, drugs, or guns, then it becomes dangerously
          unpredictable.

          Stealth can be a really good thing. Even so, I don't think my hot pink
          guy lines are going to make that much of a difference.

          CL

          Catherine wrote:
          > As a woman, I generally try to stealth camp for safety reason,
          > especially if I'm near a logging road or four wheeler trail (which,
          > unfortunately, cannot always be avoided). I'm much more afraid of
          > humans than bears, especially gangs of teenagers going into the woods
          > to get drunk and vandalize lean-tos. But I don't hike in areas where
          > hunting is permitted during hunting season.

          Please note my new-old email address: caralinb@...
          Cara Lin Bridgman

          P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
          Longjing Sinjhuang
          Taichung County 434
          Taiwan http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 13, 2007
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Catherine <cproulx@...> wrote:

            > As a woman, I generally try to stealth camp for safety reason,
            > especially if I'm near a logging road or four wheeler trail (which,
            > unfortunately, cannot always be avoided). I'm much more afraid of
            > humans than bears, especially gangs of teenagers going into the woods
            > to get drunk and vandalize lean-tos. But I don't hike in areas where
            > hunting is permitted during hunting season.
            >
            > Catherine

            Wow, I hadn't thought of it that way. There are occasionally
            situations where I don't want to be seen, and then I just get off the
            trail a little ways in an area that seems secluded.

            I was backpacking with Joe a few weeks ago and ran into a similar
            situation, one that I have never had before. We had carried extra
            water and was going to set up camp when we found a descent spot for
            setting up our hammocks on the mountain we were fixing to go over. It
            got late and we found ourselves at a gap where a forest service road
            kisses the trail without finding a good spot to hang. I was thinking
            about camping there and Joe wouldn't have any part of that because
            there was trash, mostly beer cans, where some partying had recently
            been going on. I have camped in gaps like that before in plain site
            but Joe had a good point and I remembered that there was creek down a
            side trail or old roadbed on the topo maps so we ended up in a gully a
            few 100 yards in that direction.

            We got woke up about 1am in the morning by about two dozen rounds
            fired off in a few single fire rapid bursts, coming from the direction
            of that gap. We were down low and never heard any rounds whizzing by
            or hitting anything but it was obviously a little unnerving. We
            didn't shout out that we were down there... I wasn't quite sure I
            wanted to do that or not or whether we were even close enough to be
            heard. We went back to that gap early the morning and no one was
            there so I don't know for sure what happened.

            That was on the AT in Georgia in the area where the Army Rangers have
            maneuvers. I have seen them at that very same gap before and last
            January I was planning on setting up camp when I was hiking in the
            area where Joe and I ended up camping but couldn't/didn't because the
            Rangers were on maneuvers that day and told me they were going to camp
            there when I mentioned that to them. So, it could have been Rangers
            or someone else. Joe and I found a couple of discarded ammo belts on
            the side of the trail of that area that were army issue, one was empty
            and the other had live blanks. I've heard many accounts over the years
            of campers having the daylights scared out of them by the Rangers
            running around firing off rounds in the middle of the night in that
            area. It was probably the Rangers firing off the rounds that night
            and some high school kids that tossed the beer cans, but I don't know
            for sure. We did see a group of high school age kids walking the
            forest service road a day or two later that was picking up trash and
            the beer cans were gone when we passed by that gap on our way out.

            After saying all that, I don't think it mattered whether I had a
            visible campsite in plain site or a campsite that was hard to see in
            plain site since we weren't in plain site of whoever that was. But if
            we had camped at the gap it would have made a difference and in this
            case we would obviously have wanted to be seen with gunfire involved,
            whether it was live rounds from who-knows-who or Army Rangers on
            maneuvers with blanks. Now if it was folks like out of the movie
            "Deliverance", that would be a different matter. Speaking of that
            movie, I have camped on the Chattooga River where some of that movie
            was filmed many times, including a few nights after that incident, and
            have never met anyone remotely threatening in anyway what so ever.

            Dave Womble
            aka Youngblood 2000
            WinterTarp.
          • Bill Keiser
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 14, 2007
              > We got woke up about 1am in the morning by about two dozen rounds
              > fired off in a few single fire rapid bursts, . . .

              > . . . Joe and I found a couple of discarded ammo belts on
              > the side of the trail of that area that were army issue, one was empty
              > and the other had live blanks.
              ############ bs - i would have taken those belts down to the local
              army base or wherever they come from and toss them on a desk and file
              a complaint for inappropriate shooting AND littering.

              > . . . Now if it was folks like out of the movie
              > "Deliverance", that would be a different matter. Speaking of that
              > movie, I have camped on the Chattooga River where some of that movie
              > was filmed many times, including a few nights after that incident, and
              > have never met anyone remotely threatening in anyway what so ever.
              ############ bs - that's what everyone says, those who come back out
              anyway.
            • Nightwalker
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 14, 2007
                >Speaking of that
                > movie, I have camped on the Chattooga River where some of that movie
                > was filmed many times, including a few nights after that incident, and
                > have never met anyone remotely threatening in anyway what so ever.
                >
                > Dave Womble
                > aka Youngblood 2000
                > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
                > WinterTarp.

                FHT, or further South?

                Frank Looper/Nightwalker
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 14, 2007
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Nightwalker
                  <Nightwalker.AT@...> wrote:

                  > >Speaking of that
                  > > movie, I have camped on the Chattooga River where some of that movie
                  > > was filmed many times, including a few nights after that incident, and
                  > > have never met anyone remotely threatening in anyway what so ever.
                  > >
                  > > Dave Womble
                  > > aka Youngblood 2000
                  > > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
                  > > WinterTarp.
                  > >
                  > FHT, or further South?
                  >
                  > Frank Looper/Nightwalker

                  The Chattooga Trail encompasses the Foothills Trail and the Bartram
                  Trail along the Chattooga River. I've backpacked all of them along
                  the river at one time or another. The Chattooga Trail goes south from
                  the GA/NC/SC border about 37 miles to US76.

                  Dave
                • rod hamilton
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 16, 2007
                    I recently purchased the Explorer Deluxe Hennessy hammock and have two nights of suspended animation (Ha!) under my belt (butt?). Although I know I have a lot yet to learn, I'm sold. As is my camping buddy. (He's waiting for Christmas, hoping for a Lawson.)

                    My initial attraction was the compact nature of the HH, as I dream of some long distance, motorcycle camping. The idea of replacing my sleeping bag with the Undercover and Underpad sounds great; provided they fold up better than a sleeping bag.

                    Any thoughts on this from the group? On motorcycle camping in general? Or the merits of the Hennessy vs Lawson hammock tents?

                    Thanks in advance. Rhtreo

                  • Jeff Ross
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 19, 2007
                      I also have a Hennesey Explorer with the undercover. When I stow it
                      I just leave it all rigged and cram the hammock, undercover foam and
                      nylon, ropes, guy lines, everything into the stuff sack. Unfishing
                      all the guy lines, disassembling everything, and then putting it all
                      back together next time is just too much for me. I guess I'm just
                      lazy. But it seems to work ok that way for me. I don't think the
                      original stuff sack that held the hammock and rain fly was big
                      enough to do this way. I think I've got a bigger one now. The rain
                      fly and some plastic stakes, bungies, and the tree saver straps go
                      together in the original stuff sack.

                      One thing I've learned the hard way is to use small bungies to
                      attach my guy lines to the stakes, rocks or tree limbs. When I (or
                      one of my packgoats) stumbles across a guy line in the dark, the
                      bungies keep the lines and hammock or rainfly nylon from getting
                      tore up. If you're not a clumsy oaf like me, tho, you may not need
                      to do this.

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rod hamilton <rhtreo@...>