Re: [Hammock Camping] RE: WinterTarp

    Message 1 of 34 , Nov 9, 2007
      Ralph,

      You are right, I forgot the warning about a loaded sling shot with a
      sharp stake on the other end. I've done it so long that it is second
      nature to me... sorry about that and thanks again Ralph for pointing
      that out. It is very important.

      YOU DO HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN USING SHOCK CORD OR ANY OTHER SELF
      TENSIONING DEVICE ATTACHED TO TENT/TARP STAKES AS IT IS A LOADED SLING
      SHOT WITH A SHARP PROJECTILE. Particularly when you are removing the
      stake, use two hands and keep one hand on the stake to prevent it from
      becoming a projectile. I know to stand on the friendly side of this
      potential sling shot when I pull my stakes... I keep the stake between
      me and the tarp and keep a good grip on the guy line as I pull the
      stake out with it. That is very important so I'm going to repeat
      it.... KEEP THE STAKE BETWEEN YOU AND THE TARP WHEN YOU PULL THE
      STAKE. If you stand on the wrong side of it and pull the stake out
      without holding on to it, it will jump out at you and can potentially
      strike you causing serious injury, particularly if you were leaning
      down and it were to strike your eye. Be very careful.

      I don't know what to say about the Hennessy's side pull outs, I was
      backpacking with Joe a week or so ago and ran in to his a couple of
      times. That brought back memories of doing the same thing back when I
      used a Hennessy Hammock. Black guyline is very hard to see and so is
      black shock cord. The short piece of shock cord on my arrangement
      hasn't been a 'trip-over' issue for me, but the long piece of black
      shock cord on the Hennessy side pull outs was always a 'trip-over'
      issue for me. I quickly replaced the black shock cord on my Hennessy
      tarp primarily because of that issue.

      Not all shock cord of the same diameter has the same characteristics.
      The tension and the total amount of stretch can vary by a large
      amount. I once bought some 1/8" shock cord from a boating supply
      store that was mostly white thinking that would be better for my tarps
      because it would be more visible but found that it only had a fraction
      of the tension and several times more total stretch. I put it on one
      tarp and then removed it because I didn't like those characteristics
      for tensioning my tarp. I prefer more tension and less stretch for
      shock cord used for tensioning a tarp than what that particular shock
      cord had. There is a maximum amount of stretch in the silnylon that
      you want to take up and you need a minimum amount of tension to pull
      the tarp reasonably taut. Yes I'm being vague, I don't have
      specifications to go by... I just know it is right when I feel it. <grin>

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood 2000
      Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
      WinterTarp

      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 14, 2007
        Thanks for the suggestion John-that makes sense & I'll make that change to
        the website today. Your feedback is helpful.

        The site does list the weight of our basic WinterTarp as 16 ozs; while the
        extra Accessory Kit contains our NoTangle GuideLines (listed as 1.7 oz) &
        our SilNylon Stuff Sack (listed as 0.4 oz). That would make a total carry
        weight of 18.1 ozs if you used our Accessory Kit to complete your tarp. Of
        course the final carry weight depends on each customer-while most choose to
        purchase the Accessory Kit, some choose to supply their own items. I'll try
        to make this clearer on the website itself...Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        _____