Re: [Hammock Camping] RE: WinterTarp

  • amendment2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 34 , Nov 8, 2007
      Dave Womble:
      If I understand you correctly, you are describing putting a tensioning
      spring in the guy lines using very small bungie cord. Then tying your guy lines
      out using the stretch in the bungies. If the tarp gets slackness in it, the
      bungies will contract smaller and keep the tarp tight.
      Dave Fox

      In a message dated 11/7/2007 10:20:46 PM Central Standard Time,
      dpwomble@... writes:

      Dave, when I talked to Ed the other day he said he had already sent
      you the WinterTarp. I wanted him to send you some shock cord to use
      with the side tieouts but I was too late getting to him. The shock
      cords are something Ed is planning on offering( for a small price of
      course <grin>) once we get it documented how to attach them . I use
      1/8" shock cord because that is what I have picked up locally, I think
      Ed uses 3/32" shock cord. Either will work fine, one has a little
      more tension and the other weighs a little less. I have used shock
      cords on the side tieouts for my hammock tarps for years and really
      like them. Basically I use 12" pieces of shockcord and loop it
      through the side tieouts after I have tied the guyline on. That gives
      me a doubled over piece of shockcord that is six inches long. For the
      amount of stretch I get with the shockcord I use, I attach that with a
      clove hitch in the guyline about 10 to 12 inches down, leaving 1/2 to
      1 inch tails on the ends of the shockcord. These shockcords make life
      a lot easier with the WinterTarp as it keeps tension on it when the
      silnylon stretches, keeping it reasonably taut and it gives you a
      convenient spot to hook your stakes when pitching it in the tarptent
      configuration. Do you have some shockcord and understand what I am
      trying to describe?

      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 14, 2007
        Thanks for the suggestion John-that makes sense & I'll make that change to
        the website today. Your feedback is helpful.

        The site does list the weight of our basic WinterTarp as 16 ozs; while the
        extra Accessory Kit contains our NoTangle GuideLines (listed as 1.7 oz) &
        our SilNylon Stuff Sack (listed as 0.4 oz). That would make a total carry
        weight of 18.1 ozs if you used our Accessory Kit to complete your tarp. Of
        course the final carry weight depends on each customer-while most choose to
        purchase the Accessory Kit, some choose to supply their own items. I'll try
        to make this clearer on the website itself...Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        _____