Re: [Hammock Camping] RE: WinterTarp

    Message 1 of 34 , Nov 7, 2007
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, amendment2@... wrote:

      > Dave Womble,
      > I noticed in a tarp you made you had sewn two ties out in the field
      on each
      > side in addition to the tie outs around the edges. They looked like
      they made
      > more interior room by pulling the inside center of the tarp out
      away from
      > the hammock. Did you not include them in the winter tarp?
      > Dave Fox

      Dave,

      Those were in an earlier version of a winter tarp I made, this one
      http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/photos/browse/8319 .
      That looks good doesn't it? At one time a couple of years ago Ed
      Speer and I talked about offering that version for sale but we were
      not quite satisfied with it and never did offer that version for sale.
      Problem is it doesn't work quite as well in winter conditions as it
      looks like it would.

      I learned a lot from that version of winter tarp. I learned I wanted
      something simpler and I learned that what I wanted in a winter hammock
      tarp was a little different than that. I learned I wanted something
      that used fewer stakes and still gave me a taut pitch in the various
      configurations I needed for winter use. I learned that you want to
      block the wind from directly hitting you but still have ventilation
      when the wind subsides without having to get up and re-stake anything.
      I learned I didn't want to deal with hook and loop fasteners for
      fastening a door when I wanted to enter or exit the tarp as they are
      difficult to get hold of and align properly from inside the tarptent.
      I learned I wanted steep sides to shed snow.

      I went back to the proverbial drawing board and on my third version
      for a simplified version came up with what Speer Hammocks now offers.
      There are no hook and loop fasteners, I use an overlapping door
      approach that pitches taut and doesn't drag along the ground. It
      provides for reasonable wind protection and adequate ventilation at
      the same time. The side pullouts for increasing the interior volume
      you mentioned are gone, those are missed in a closed off tarptent
      pitch but they added too much complexity, messed with the geometry
      with the overlapping door technique, and flattened out the top of the
      tarp making snow loads more of a problem... I don't think the maximum
      closed off tarptent pitch will be used except in really bad conditions
      and then you will have to hunker down and make due with a more
      confined space than you might prefer. The catenary ridgeline is also
      gone, I increased the depth of the catenary curves on the edges and
      utilized four catenary darts along the hammock where the "door flaps"
      hinge. Those do some interesting things for the tarp... they keep it
      very taut over a variety of pitch options and do it exceptionally well
      while allowing you to have steep sides when using the tarptent pitch
      to help with snow buildup.

      Dave, when I talked to Ed the other day he said he had already sent
      you the WinterTarp. I wanted him to send you some shock cord to use
      with the side tieouts but I was too late getting to him. The shock
      cords are something Ed is planning on offering( for a small price of
      course <grin>) once we get it documented how to attach them . I use
      1/8" shock cord because that is what I have picked up locally, I think
      Ed uses 3/32" shock cord. Either will work fine, one has a little
      more tension and the other weighs a little less. I have used shock
      cords on the side tieouts for my hammock tarps for years and really
      like them. Basically I use 12" pieces of shockcord and loop it
      through the side tieouts after I have tied the guyline on. That gives
      me a doubled over piece of shockcord that is six inches long. For the
      amount of stretch I get with the shockcord I use, I attach that with a
      clove hitch in the guyline about 10 to 12 inches down, leaving 1/2 to
      1 inch tails on the ends of the shockcord. These shockcords make life
      a lot easier with the WinterTarp as it keeps tension on it when the
      silnylon stretches, keeping it reasonably taut and it gives you a
      convenient spot to hook your stakes when pitching it in the tarptent
      configuration. Do you have some shockcord and understand what I am
      trying to describe?

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood 2000
      Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
      WinterTarp.
      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 14, 2007
        Thanks for the suggestion John-that makes sense & I'll make that change to
        the website today. Your feedback is helpful.

        The site does list the weight of our basic WinterTarp as 16 ozs; while the
        extra Accessory Kit contains our NoTangle GuideLines (listed as 1.7 oz) &
        our SilNylon Stuff Sack (listed as 0.4 oz). That would make a total carry
        weight of 18.1 ozs if you used our Accessory Kit to complete your tarp. Of
        course the final carry weight depends on each customer-while most choose to
        purchase the Accessory Kit, some choose to supply their own items. I'll try
        to make this clearer on the website itself...Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        _____