[SPAM]Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Hammock tarp

    Message 1 of 34 , Nov 7, 2007
      Okay Ed, here is little blurb I put together on the new tarp.

      The WinterTarp is the results of several generations of a class of
      tarps that I call hammock tarptents. It is an 11 foot long by 10 foot
      wide silnylon tarp with catenary curves along each of its ten edges
      and four catenary darts. The basic concept is to provide a taut tarp
      when pitched high for rain protection and a taut tarp when pitched low
      for better wind protection as a hammock tarptent. Of course there
      are other basic requirements as well such as simplicity and
      functionality. In cold weather, simplicity and functionality are
      paramount as even the simplest of chores can become difficult when you
      are tired or cold and your equipment needs to do what you expect it to
      do without a lot of adjustments or readjustments. One other feature
      is that it has a steep pitch when used as a hammock tarptent to
      encourage any snow to slide off the tarp rather than accumulate and
      cause problems with stretching and sagging.

      When pitched high for rain protection in a traditional A-frame
      configuration the WinterTarp has a surprisingly taut pitch for such a
      large silnylon tarp due to the innovative use of catenary darts at
      strategic points on the tarp and the catenary curves along its edges.
      It has two ridgeline tie outs and four tie outs on each side for a
      total of ten tie outs. The center pair of tie outs on each side are
      for the main body of the tarp and the corner tie outs can be pitched a
      number of different ways. The corner tie outs can be pitched to
      extend the tarp as a normal flat tarp or they can be angled inward.
      The unique catenary darts allow for a taut pitch over a significant
      range of angles for the corner tie outs.

      When pitched low and the end flaps closed off, or partially closed
      off, it becomes a tarptent for a hammock. Most of the time you will
      only want it partially closed off as that is the best compromise for
      most winter conditions when camping with a hammock. With the ends
      partially close off there is more inside volume, it is easier to exit
      and enter, and the wind can't hit you unless it blows through the tree
      you are tied off to. This is great improvement over tarps that don't
      offer this type of coverage in cool weather where exposure to wind can
      be a problem. The approach on the WinterTarp tent is to use
      overlapping flaps for doors to close or partially close off the ends
      and to not have the tarp all the way to the ground, but very near the
      ground. This blocks the wind from having a direct path to the hammock
      as long as you pitch your hammock up off the ground and up inside the
      tarp, and still provides adequate ventilation for when the wind isn't
      blowing. Remember that conditions often change during the course of
      the night where the wind sometimes is blowing and sometimes it isn't.
      When the wind is blowing ventilation isn't an issue but when it isn't
      blowing it is an issue and it can become a big issue real fast in
      winter conditions.

      Of course each person is free to experiment and find their own
      favorite WinterTarp configuration for the conditions they encounter.
      I think people will appreciate the simplicity and functionality of the
      WinterTarp.

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood 2000
      Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, the SnugFit Underquilt,
      and the WinterTarp

      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 14, 2007
        Thanks for the suggestion John-that makes sense & I'll make that change to
        the website today. Your feedback is helpful.

        The site does list the weight of our basic WinterTarp as 16 ozs; while the
        extra Accessory Kit contains our NoTangle GuideLines (listed as 1.7 oz) &
        our SilNylon Stuff Sack (listed as 0.4 oz). That would make a total carry
        weight of 18.1 ozs if you used our Accessory Kit to complete your tarp. Of
        course the final carry weight depends on each customer-while most choose to
        purchase the Accessory Kit, some choose to supply their own items. I'll try
        to make this clearer on the website itself...Ed