[Hammock Camping] Re: Chinese made Hammocks

  • takeasquizz
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Nightwalker
      <Nightwalker.AT@...> wrote:

      > My HH UL Backpacker is made in the USA. It figures, as I'm not one
      to care
      > either way. :-)

      Hammocks are
      > >made in
      > > the USA. This was one of the reasons that I went with the
      Speer... I am
      > > not sure about the
      > > others.
      > >
      > > NTSKIP--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <watashiwah@>
      > > wrote:
      > >>
      > >> For fear of sounding too Polyannish, or whatever, I'd like to
      know which
      > >> Hammocks are
      > > made
      > >> in China. There is considerable dialogue on the merits of each
      hammock;
      > >> but I am tired
      > > of
      > >> buying Chinese made when likely superior items are made here.
      Sure many
      > >> parts of
      > >> everything might be of Chinese origin, but I meam manufacture.
      Maybe I
      > >> seem crazy; I
      > > do
      > >> drive a "Japanese" Toyoto, this monitor in probably made in
      Taiwan; but
      > >> the Chinese
      > > issue is
      > >> different. We might save a few bucks in the short run, but
      overall by
      > >> buying items
      > >> manufactured in China we are screwing ourselves.
      > >>
      > >> It would be nice if the hammock people would declare where their
      hammocks
      > >> are made,
      > >> that's all. We need the great outdoors to enjoy 'em, why subsidise
      > >> industry that is
      > > ruining the
      > >> outdoors?

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Nightwalker, I find it interesting that your HH UL Backpacker is made
      in the USA. I purchased mine (current model HHULB) about June this
      year and
      it says 'Made in China'. How old is yours? Admittedly I did buy mine
      through an eabay store, but nevertheless it has all the registered
      trade marks attached to it. It also came with printed material with
      the Hennessy contact information on it. I must say, I was surprised to
      see the 'Made in China' tag on it as I too, was of the understanding
      that it was made in the USA.

      Julie

    • Nightwalker
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 3, 2007
        > Nightwalker, I find it interesting that your HH UL Backpacker is made
        > in the USA. I purchased mine (current model HHULB) about June this
        > year and
        > it says 'Made in China'. How old is yours? Admittedly I did buy mine
        > through an eabay store, but nevertheless it has all the registered
        > trade marks attached to it. It also came with printed material with
        > the Hennessy contact information on it. I must say, I was surprised to
        > see the 'Made in China' tag on it as I too, was of the understanding
        > that it was made in the USA.
        >
        > Julie

        I ordered it special with the heavier ropes for a 200+ pound person. They
        told me that it was made in the US before I bought it. My other HH, an Exped
        Asym, is made in China and says so on the bag.

        BTW, they didn't charge me more for the heavier-roped version, and it only
        added 3 ounces to the whole thing. So, those of you who want to carry
        ultralight, but aren't very light yourselves, you might keep this in mind!

        I don't see how we can expect someone from another country to make their
        products in our country. But I guess that's just me.

        Frank/Nightwalker