[Hammock Camping] Re: Thanks for all your input!

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007
      I use Byer's of Maine micro-rope. The adjustable rope goes around
      the tree and a small silver bar slips into the loop of the hammock.

      I tried putting 2" strap around the tree first, but it always slipped.

      http://www.nextag.com/BYER-of-Maine-Model-73953020/prices-html

      sandy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Campbell"
      <campbell.d.p@...> wrote:

      > Franc,
      >
      > I use 1" webbing, I wrap it around the tree 2 or 3 times (depending
      on how
      > big the tree is); I spread the wraps apart so they cover more
      surface area.
      > I wrap the webbing on top of my hammock line (usually 3/8" yellow
      poly,
      > hollow braid rope) and then tie my knot in the hammock line. This
      spreads
      > the stress more or less equally on all the wraps of the webbing.
      I'd like
      > to say that it never leaves a mark on the tree; but it's almost
      impossible
      > to not leave a mark on the bark of pine, fir and spruce trees that
      we have
      > up on our areas. I shoot for a 30 degree sag angle, but it seems
      to vary
      > between about 30 and 40 degrees. I weigh about 152lbs (just in
      case you're
      > doing calculations on the actual pull of the lines).
      >
      > Good luck with your research!
      >
      > Doug Campbell
      >

      > On 10/31/07, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <hammockcamping%
      40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > "Francois" <franczazou@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > wow! I never realised how much you take your hamocks seriously!
      > > > Thanks for the feed back. Since we have to get this done by
      december
      > > > i don't think I'll be able to check for long term damage on the
      trees
      > > > but that's a very good point. I'll definitly flag the trees and
      go
      > > > check next summer though. We plan on testing 6 different kind of
      > > > trees commonly found in northern quebec. To stop the debate,
      those
      > > > who want to know how it turned out drop me a line, everybody
      else
      > > > please disregard this nonsense.
      > > > -Franc
      > > >

      > > Franc,
      > >
      > > I use 3/8 inch hollow-core braided polyester rope, a 30 degree sag
      > > angle, and I tie it to the tree with a non-cinching slippery
      bowline.

      > > Dave

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
        Franc,

        I've been using the standard Hennessey set up, but unlike most Hennessey
        users, I don't set it up tight. I hang it as though it were a
        no-ridge-line hammock with lots of flop and sag. I'm guessing the angle
        is 40 or more degrees hanging down from horizontal. I use the Hennessey
        tree-huggers (1" wide) wrapped once around the tree (most of the trees
        have dbh >30 cm. I weigh about 200 lbs.

        If you saw my earlier email, then you know I'm following the 'long-term'
        effects of a one-night hang on /Cryptomeria japonica/. It's long-term
        in that I want to know how long it will take before I cannot tell that I
        hung the hammock there.

        CL

        Francois wrote:
        > wow! I never realised how much you take your hamocks seriously!
        > Thanks for the feed back. Since we have to get this done by december
        > i don't think I'll be able to check for long term damage on the trees
        > but that's a very good point. I'll definitly flag the trees and go
        > check next summer though. We plan on testing 6 different kind of
        > trees commonly found in northern quebec. To stop the debate, those
        > who want to know how it turned out drop me a line, everybody else
        > please disregard this nonsense.
        > -Franc

        Please note my new email address: caralinb@...
        Cara Lin Bridgman