Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Country of manufacture; too much to ask?

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
      Also, while I'm here, Cara had a question about wood being carbon neutral,
      back when we were talking about bees wax. I've spoken to a few people about
      it and the explaination I received was that wood when it burns, produces the
      amount of carbon that it absorbs during it's life. Products such as oil
      only produce carbon and no part of their manufacturing absorbs any.

      Enjoy,

      Ian

      When the oil (and coal) was formed (eons ago) the carbon contained therein
      was removed from the environment (sequestered). It has been stored
      underground for millions of years. When we burn fossil fuels such as coal or
      oil, the carbon combines with oxygen and returns the the environment. Oil
      and coal are forming right now. but we are using the old stuff at a much
      faster rate than we are replacing it. Hence we are increasing the amount of
      carbon as CO2 in our environment.

      When a tree is grown it removes carbon from the atmosphere and stores it in
      the tree as cellulose. When the tree is either burned or rots, the carbon is
      returned to the atmosphere (unless it becomes coal or oil (slim chance)). So
      planting trees only removes the carbon from the atmosphere for a relatively
      short period of at most a century.

      I'm not sure this discussion belongs here on the hammock group page,
      Maybe it should be moved over to Kampfire???

      Ralph Oborn