Thanks for all your input!

  • Francois
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
      wow! I never realised how much you take your hamocks seriously!
      Thanks for the feed back. Since we have to get this done by december
      i don't think I'll be able to check for long term damage on the trees
      but that's a very good point. I'll definitly flag the trees and go
      check next summer though. We plan on testing 6 different kind of
      trees commonly found in northern quebec. To stop the debate, those
      who want to know how it turned out drop me a line, everybody else
      please disregard this nonsense.
      -Franc
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Francois" <franczazou@...> wrote:

        > wow! I never realised how much you take your hamocks seriously!
        > Thanks for the feed back. Since we have to get this done by december
        > i don't think I'll be able to check for long term damage on the trees
        > but that's a very good point. I'll definitly flag the trees and go
        > check next summer though. We plan on testing 6 different kind of
        > trees commonly found in northern quebec. To stop the debate, those
        > who want to know how it turned out drop me a line, everybody else
        > please disregard this nonsense.
        > -Franc

        Franc,

        I use 3/8 inch hollow-core braided polyester rope, a 30 degree sag
        angle, and I tie it to the tree with a non-cinching slippery bowline.

        Dave
      • Douglas Campbell
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
          Franc,

          I use 1" webbing, I wrap it around the tree 2 or 3 times (depending on how
          big the tree is); I spread the wraps apart so they cover more surface area.
          I wrap the webbing on top of my hammock line (usually 3/8" yellow poly,
          hollow braid rope) and then tie my knot in the hammock line. This spreads
          the stress more or less equally on all the wraps of the webbing. I'd like
          to say that it never leaves a mark on the tree; but it's almost impossible
          to not leave a mark on the bark of pine, fir and spruce trees that we have
          up on our areas. I shoot for a 30 degree sag angle, but it seems to vary
          between about 30 and 40 degrees. I weigh about 152lbs (just in case you're
          doing calculations on the actual pull of the lines).

          Good luck with your research!

          Doug Campbell

          On 10/31/07, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:

          > "Francois" <franczazou@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > wow! I never realised how much you take your hamocks seriously!
          > > Thanks for the feed back. Since we have to get this done by december
          > > i don't think I'll be able to check for long term damage on the trees
          > > but that's a very good point. I'll definitly flag the trees and go
          > > check next summer though. We plan on testing 6 different kind of
          > > trees commonly found in northern quebec. To stop the debate, those
          > > who want to know how it turned out drop me a line, everybody else
          > > please disregard this nonsense.
          > > -Franc
          > >

          > Franc,
          >
          > I use 3/8 inch hollow-core braided polyester rope, a 30 degree sag
          > angle, and I tie it to the tree with a non-cinching slippery bowline.
          >
          > Dave

        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
            Franc, My scouts and I use 1 1/2 inch webbing wrapped at least three times
            around the three to spread out the load. Angle (from horizontal) is usually
            20° to 30°. Usually we camp in lodge pole or ponderosa pine. Occasionally
            bug willow trees on the river bottom.

            I use a HH and weigh about 220 lbs. Most of my scouts use Risk Test
            hammocks and weigh about 125 lbs

            We are proud of our LNT practices and have seen no ill effects, but we
            usually are in large trees with real rough bark.

            My exprimental test bed (at home) is two Lindon trees that show some
            abrasion where I left a hammock up for two months.

            I have a spread sheet that will help calculate loads if you would like,
            check with me off line. It would be fun to use my physics degree for
            something like this.

            Ralph (Pocatello Idaho)

            On 10/31/07, Francois <franczazou@...> wrote:

            > wow! I never realised how much you take your hamocks seriously!
            > Thanks for the feed back. Since we have to get this done by december
            > i don't think I'll be able to check for long term damage on the trees
            > but that's a very good point. I'll definitly flag the trees and go
            > check next summer though. We plan on testing 6 different kind of
            > trees commonly found in northern quebec. To stop the debate, those
            > who want to know how it turned out drop me a line, everybody else
            > please disregard this nonsense.
            > -Franc

          • Sandy Kramer
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007
              I use Byer's of Maine micro-rope. The adjustable rope goes around
              the tree and a small silver bar slips into the loop of the hammock.

              I tried putting 2" strap around the tree first, but it always slipped.

              http://www.nextag.com/BYER-of-Maine-Model-73953020/prices-html

              sandy

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Campbell"
              <campbell.d.p@...> wrote:

              > Franc,
              >
              > I use 1" webbing, I wrap it around the tree 2 or 3 times (depending
              on how
              > big the tree is); I spread the wraps apart so they cover more
              surface area.
              > I wrap the webbing on top of my hammock line (usually 3/8" yellow
              poly,
              > hollow braid rope) and then tie my knot in the hammock line. This
              spreads
              > the stress more or less equally on all the wraps of the webbing.
              I'd like
              > to say that it never leaves a mark on the tree; but it's almost
              impossible
              > to not leave a mark on the bark of pine, fir and spruce trees that
              we have
              > up on our areas. I shoot for a 30 degree sag angle, but it seems
              to vary
              > between about 30 and 40 degrees. I weigh about 152lbs (just in
              case you're
              > doing calculations on the actual pull of the lines).
              >
              > Good luck with your research!
              >
              > Doug Campbell
              >

              > On 10/31/07, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <hammockcamping%
              40yahoogroups.com>,
              > > "Francois" <franczazou@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > wow! I never realised how much you take your hamocks seriously!
              > > > Thanks for the feed back. Since we have to get this done by
              december
              > > > i don't think I'll be able to check for long term damage on the
              trees
              > > > but that's a very good point. I'll definitly flag the trees and
              go
              > > > check next summer though. We plan on testing 6 different kind of
              > > > trees commonly found in northern quebec. To stop the debate,
              those
              > > > who want to know how it turned out drop me a line, everybody
              else
              > > > please disregard this nonsense.
              > > > -Franc
              > > >

              > > Franc,
              > >
              > > I use 3/8 inch hollow-core braided polyester rope, a 30 degree sag
              > > angle, and I tie it to the tree with a non-cinching slippery
              bowline.

              > > Dave

            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
                Franc,

                I've been using the standard Hennessey set up, but unlike most Hennessey
                users, I don't set it up tight. I hang it as though it were a
                no-ridge-line hammock with lots of flop and sag. I'm guessing the angle
                is 40 or more degrees hanging down from horizontal. I use the Hennessey
                tree-huggers (1" wide) wrapped once around the tree (most of the trees
                have dbh >30 cm. I weigh about 200 lbs.

                If you saw my earlier email, then you know I'm following the 'long-term'
                effects of a one-night hang on /Cryptomeria japonica/. It's long-term
                in that I want to know how long it will take before I cannot tell that I
                hung the hammock there.

                CL

                Francois wrote:
                > wow! I never realised how much you take your hamocks seriously!
                > Thanks for the feed back. Since we have to get this done by december
                > i don't think I'll be able to check for long term damage on the trees
                > but that's a very good point. I'll definitly flag the trees and go
                > check next summer though. We plan on testing 6 different kind of
                > trees commonly found in northern quebec. To stop the debate, those
                > who want to know how it turned out drop me a line, everybody else
                > please disregard this nonsense.
                > -Franc

                Please note my new email address: caralinb@...
                Cara Lin Bridgman