Re: Chinese made Hammocks

  • Pat
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
      Clark hammocks are made in Utah and Gary Clark said to me and a
      couple of his employees have stated it as well as long as he owns the
      company they will be made Utah.

      cavediver2

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <watashiwah@...> wrote:

      > For fear of sounding too Polyannish, or whatever, I'd like to know
      which Hammocks are made
      > in China. There is considerable dialogue on the merits of each
      hammock; but I am tired of
      > buying Chinese made when likely superior items are made here. Sure
      many parts of
      > everything might be of Chinese origin, but I meam manufacture.
      Maybe I seem crazy; I do
      > drive a "Japanese" Toyoto, this monitor in probably made in Taiwan;
      but the Chinese issue is
      > different. We might save a few bucks in the short run, but overall
      by buying items
      > manufactured in China we are screwing ourselves.
      >
      > It would be nice if the hammock people would declare where their
      hammocks are made,
      > that's all. We need the great outdoors to enjoy 'em, why subsidise
      industry that is ruining the
      > outdoors?

    • takeasquizz
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Nightwalker
        <Nightwalker.AT@...> wrote:

        > My HH UL Backpacker is made in the USA. It figures, as I'm not one
        to care
        > either way. :-)

        Hammocks are
        > >made in
        > > the USA. This was one of the reasons that I went with the
        Speer... I am
        > > not sure about the
        > > others.
        > >
        > > NTSKIP--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <watashiwah@>
        > > wrote:
        > >>
        > >> For fear of sounding too Polyannish, or whatever, I'd like to
        know which
        > >> Hammocks are
        > > made
        > >> in China. There is considerable dialogue on the merits of each
        hammock;
        > >> but I am tired
        > > of
        > >> buying Chinese made when likely superior items are made here.
        Sure many
        > >> parts of
        > >> everything might be of Chinese origin, but I meam manufacture.
        Maybe I
        > >> seem crazy; I
        > > do
        > >> drive a "Japanese" Toyoto, this monitor in probably made in
        Taiwan; but
        > >> the Chinese
        > > issue is
        > >> different. We might save a few bucks in the short run, but
        overall by
        > >> buying items
        > >> manufactured in China we are screwing ourselves.
        > >>
        > >> It would be nice if the hammock people would declare where their
        hammocks
        > >> are made,
        > >> that's all. We need the great outdoors to enjoy 'em, why subsidise
        > >> industry that is
        > > ruining the
        > >> outdoors?

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Nightwalker, I find it interesting that your HH UL Backpacker is made
        in the USA. I purchased mine (current model HHULB) about June this
        year and
        it says 'Made in China'. How old is yours? Admittedly I did buy mine
        through an eabay store, but nevertheless it has all the registered
        trade marks attached to it. It also came with printed material with
        the Hennessy contact information on it. I must say, I was surprised to
        see the 'Made in China' tag on it as I too, was of the understanding
        that it was made in the USA.

        Julie

      • C C Wayah
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
          I do wonder where the materials for hammocks are made. Not just the assembly
          of the hammock.
          Rogene
        • the gnome of blue island
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
            with all due respect this is a political question, not a hammockong one, kinda like do you shop at Walmart? the gnome of blue island

            the gnome of blue island
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
              On 10/31/07, the gnome of blue island <shortdottedline@...> wrote:

              > with all due respect this is a political question, not a hammockong one,
              > kinda like do you shop at Walmart? the gnome of blue island
              >
              > the gnome of blue island

              Perhaps this topic also would be better discussed over on Kampfire where
              topics are a little (well a lot) less focused.

              Ralph

            • Nightwalker
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 3, 2007
                > Nightwalker, I find it interesting that your HH UL Backpacker is made
                > in the USA. I purchased mine (current model HHULB) about June this
                > year and
                > it says 'Made in China'. How old is yours? Admittedly I did buy mine
                > through an eabay store, but nevertheless it has all the registered
                > trade marks attached to it. It also came with printed material with
                > the Hennessy contact information on it. I must say, I was surprised to
                > see the 'Made in China' tag on it as I too, was of the understanding
                > that it was made in the USA.
                >
                > Julie

                I ordered it special with the heavier ropes for a 200+ pound person. They
                told me that it was made in the US before I bought it. My other HH, an Exped
                Asym, is made in China and says so on the bag.

                BTW, they didn't charge me more for the heavier-roped version, and it only
                added 3 ounces to the whole thing. So, those of you who want to carry
                ultralight, but aren't very light yourselves, you might keep this in mind!

                I don't see how we can expect someone from another country to make their
                products in our country. But I guess that's just me.

                Frank/Nightwalker