Re: Country of manufacture; too much to ask?

  • Pat
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2007
      Clark hammocks are made in Utah and when I talked to gary about this
      very same subject he said that as long as he owns the company that
      clarks will continue to be made in Utah and only Utah after getting my
      Clark home and put up I am glad it is made in Utah and the U.S for that
      matter and will continue to support my local outfitter of hammocks
      Clark being one of them.

      I too think that most of our outdoor supplys are surcoming to the
      thought of getting better deal for there buck buy moving or useing
      places out of our country such a shame too.

      As american's we should and try too use nothing but american made but
      most of our company's see this is a chance to make bigger dollars by
      moving away from here to other country's the town I live in built and
      paid for a huge building only to have the company move to mexico.

      so for what it's worth from what I know about Clark untill the time
      they ever change I will continue to buy from them and after the first
      of the year I will be buying another one from them for my son.

      cavediver_2

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <watashiwah@...> wrote:

      > I posted this question earlier; it somehow was passed over. Which
      hammocks are made in
      > China, is this too much to ask? This isn't political, it is a viable
      question. Anyone remember
      > what the manufactures disclosed?

    • ian toal
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
        I have to say I agree with Pat on this. I have a Clark hammock, two of them actually. I've been following the post about where hammocks are made when I was setting up my hammock last night camping I was happy to see that it was made in America. They are great hammocks too. I've used mine in the middle of winter and slept well and warm. I'm looking forward to using it again this winter.

        Also, while I'm here, Cara had a question about wood being carbon neutral, back when we were talking about bees wax. I've spoken to a few people about it and the explaination I received was that wood when it burns, produces the amount of carbon that it absorbs during it's life. Products such as oil only produce carbon and no part of their manufacturing absorbs any.

        Enjoy,

        Ian

        Pat <cavediver_2@...> wrote:
        Clark hammocks are made in Utah and when I talked to gary about this
        very same subject he said that as long as he owns the company that
        clarks will continue to be made in Utah and only Utah after getting my
        Clark home and put up I am glad it is made in Utah and the U.S for that
        matter and will continue to support my local outfitter of hammocks
        Clark being one of them.

        I too think that most of our outdoor supplys are surcoming to the
        thought of getting better deal for there buck buy moving or useing
        places out of our country such a shame too.

        As american's we should and try too use nothing but american made but
        most of our company's see this is a chance to make bigger dollars by
        moving away from here to other country's the town I live in built and
        paid for a huge building only to have the company move to mexico.

        so for what it's worth from what I know about Clark untill the time
        they ever change I will continue to buy from them and after the first
        of the year I will be buying another one from them for my son.

        cavediver_2

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <watashiwah@...> wrote:

        > I posted this question earlier; it somehow was passed over. Which
        hammocks are made in
        > China, is this too much to ask? This isn't political, it is a viable
        question. Anyone remember
        > what the manufactures disclosed?

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
          Also, while I'm here, Cara had a question about wood being carbon neutral,
          back when we were talking about bees wax. I've spoken to a few people about
          it and the explaination I received was that wood when it burns, produces the
          amount of carbon that it absorbs during it's life. Products such as oil
          only produce carbon and no part of their manufacturing absorbs any.

          Enjoy,

          Ian

          When the oil (and coal) was formed (eons ago) the carbon contained therein
          was removed from the environment (sequestered). It has been stored
          underground for millions of years. When we burn fossil fuels such as coal or
          oil, the carbon combines with oxygen and returns the the environment. Oil
          and coal are forming right now. but we are using the old stuff at a much
          faster rate than we are replacing it. Hence we are increasing the amount of
          carbon as CO2 in our environment.

          When a tree is grown it removes carbon from the atmosphere and stores it in
          the tree as cellulose. When the tree is either burned or rots, the carbon is
          returned to the atmosphere (unless it becomes coal or oil (slim chance)). So
          planting trees only removes the carbon from the atmosphere for a relatively
          short period of at most a century.

          I'm not sure this discussion belongs here on the hammock group page,
          Maybe it should be moved over to Kampfire???

          Ralph Oborn