Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: leave no trace research on hammocks

  • Tod Massa
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 30, 2007
      Further, if this is from a US institution, since it is survey research with no promise of anonymity, there is a good chance it violates the human subject protocols required by the feds to be in place at all US institutions receiving federal funds and thus a complain could put those funds at risk ...regardless whether or not funded researchers were involved.

      It's just good practice to stop bad research practice...other folks can get hurt.

      There are those of us on the list who make our living doing and supporting academic research, and we can help.

      Tod

      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 30, 2007
        Maybe there just curious of what kinds of hammock attachments to test and not particularly interested in you in particular. So as to find the most benificial low impact on tree to hammock connection possible, hmmm!JMO from what's been said. If I were at a university and looking to do research on leave no trace hammock connections I don't know if I would necessarily do an official request to get random results of what types of connections people are using. Someone read way to far into this. I use a 2" poly strap conected to the byers of maine micro adjuster. don't know the angle

        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 30, 2007
          I don't do research, just a hammock owner. Before Trailplace closed it's
          doors recently, I was attempting to get some information on the effect of
          hammocks on trees. I asked folks at Oregon State University to comment on what
          effect hammocks would have on the tree. There was nothing scientific quoted from
          Leave no trace institute or OSU. They "felt" there would be no harmful
          effects.

        • Francois
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 31, 2007
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, John Wilson <navjohn@...> wrote:

            > I question the legitimacy of this post. I would think a request
            > from a university:
            > 1. Would originate from an .edu email site, and not hotmail,
            > 2. Would be better written, not containing phrases like "doing a
            > university research," and
            > 3. Would not exhibit misspelled words.
            >
            > Perhaps a little more explanation is in order before we respond.
            >
            > John

            Good point. The project is a 90 hour research for ''éthique de
            l'environnement'' at the niversity of Chicoutimi (Quebec)where I'm
            doing a bachelor in ''Plein air et tourisme d'aventure''. Sorry about
            the mistakes but my english is not so good. I've been a member here
            for 3 years and used my own log-in.
            -Franc
          • Sandy Kramer
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 1, 2007
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Francois" <franczazou@...>
              wrote:

              > > University of Chicoutimi (Quebec)where I'm
              > doing a bachelor in ''Plein air et tourisme d'aventure''.

              How interesting, an undergraduate program in Outdoors and Adventure
              Tourism.

              sandy kramer
              miami
            • Nightwalker