Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Chinese made Hammocks

  • Nightwalker
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
      My HH UL Backpacker is made in the USA. It figures, as I'm not one to care
      either way. :-)

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
        Clark hammocks are made in Utah and Gary Clark said to me and a
        couple of his employees have stated it as well as long as he owns the
        company they will be made Utah.

        cavediver2

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <watashiwah@...> wrote:

        > For fear of sounding too Polyannish, or whatever, I'd like to know
        which Hammocks are made
        > in China. There is considerable dialogue on the merits of each
        hammock; but I am tired of
        > buying Chinese made when likely superior items are made here. Sure
        many parts of
        > everything might be of Chinese origin, but I meam manufacture.
        Maybe I seem crazy; I do
        > drive a "Japanese" Toyoto, this monitor in probably made in Taiwan;
        but the Chinese issue is
        > different. We might save a few bucks in the short run, but overall
        by buying items
        > manufactured in China we are screwing ourselves.
        >
        > It would be nice if the hammock people would declare where their
        hammocks are made,
        > that's all. We need the great outdoors to enjoy 'em, why subsidise
        industry that is ruining the
        > outdoors?

      • takeasquizz
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Nightwalker
          <Nightwalker.AT@...> wrote:

          > My HH UL Backpacker is made in the USA. It figures, as I'm not one
          to care
          > either way. :-)

          Nightwalker, I find it interesting that your HH UL Backpacker is made
          in the USA. I purchased mine (current model HHULB) about June this
          year and
          it says 'Made in China'. How old is yours? Admittedly I did buy mine
          through an eabay store, but nevertheless it has all the registered
          trade marks attached to it. It also came with printed material with
          the Hennessy contact information on it. I must say, I was surprised to
          see the 'Made in China' tag on it as I too, was of the understanding
          that it was made in the USA.

          Julie

        • C C Wayah
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
            I do wonder where the materials for hammocks are made. Not just the assembly
            of the hammock.
            Rogene
          • the gnome of blue island
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
              with all due respect this is a political question, not a hammockong one, kinda like do you shop at Walmart? the gnome of blue island

              the gnome of blue island
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
                On 10/31/07, the gnome of blue island <shortdottedline@...> wrote:

                > with all due respect this is a political question, not a hammockong one,
                > kinda like do you shop at Walmart? the gnome of blue island
                >
                > the gnome of blue island

                Perhaps this topic also would be better discussed over on Kampfire where
                topics are a little (well a lot) less focused.

                Ralph

              • Nightwalker
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 3 11:08 AM
                  > Nightwalker, I find it interesting that your HH UL Backpacker is made
                  > in the USA. I purchased mine (current model HHULB) about June this
                  > year and
                  > it says 'Made in China'. How old is yours? Admittedly I did buy mine
                  > through an eabay store, but nevertheless it has all the registered
                  > trade marks attached to it. It also came with printed material with
                  > the Hennessy contact information on it. I must say, I was surprised to
                  > see the 'Made in China' tag on it as I too, was of the understanding
                  > that it was made in the USA.
                  >
                  > Julie

                  I ordered it special with the heavier ropes for a 200+ pound person. They
                  told me that it was made in the US before I bought it. My other HH, an Exped
                  Asym, is made in China and says so on the bag.

                  BTW, they didn't charge me more for the heavier-roped version, and it only
                  added 3 ounces to the whole thing. So, those of you who want to carry
                  ultralight, but aren't very light yourselves, you might keep this in mind!

                  I don't see how we can expect someone from another country to make their
                  products in our country. But I guess that's just me.

                  Frank/Nightwalker