Re: [Hammock Camping] Country of manufacture & Boycotts

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2007
      Rick wrote:
      > I posted this question earlier; it somehow was passed
      > over. Which hammocks are made in China, is this too
      > much to ask? This isn't political, it is a viable
      > question. Anyone remember what the manufactures
      > disclosed?

      Anything ordered through the internet or catalogs will only say
      'Imported'--could be China, could be any place else...

      Anything Made in China will have a tag...
      EVERYthing Made in China has a tag...

      I bought a travel hammock--tag says Made in China.

      My Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker Asym is Made in China--either it or
      the sylnylon bag it came in (the Made in China label is stamped on the
      bag)... probably both... I got mine at a discount because of some sort
      of discoloration in the netting that I could never see--so Hennessey may
      be Made in China, but the company maintains a high standard for quality.

      And here's where I do get political...

      For over a year (2005), my husband and I boycotted things Made in China,
      mainly because of China's aggressive and inconsiderate attitude towards
      Taiwan--i.e. >800 missiles pointed towards us and all sorts of talk
      about Taiwan being part of China, but obviously not giving a rip (or
      knowing anything) about Taiwan's people.

      Anyway, our boycott certainly did China no harm, but it definitely
      shaved us lots of money, mainly because we stopped buying cheap plastic
      toys at our local 7-11 to give to my American niece and nephew.
      Actually, the boycott caused some inconvenience, because SOOOOOoooooooo
      many things are Made in China, especially basic necessities: shoes, for
      example. This summer, in the US, we noticed that virtually everything
      at K-Mart and Target (we did not do Wal-Mart) was Made in China.

      We gave our boycott a try. Even now, we're still tag aware. That it's
      Made in China does make us pause and reconsider.

      I will mention that our Made in China boycott ended when my husband and
      I discussed a Made in USA boycott. We quickly realized that you can't
      boycott everything.

      Why a Made in USA boycott by an American and her Taiwanese husband?
      Mainly because America's foreign policy (including a tendency towards
      rudeness to Taiwan). More personally, it was because of all the
      security hassles and attitude and hysteria we have to go through to get
      into the USA so we can spend the summer taking our turn to care for my
      parents (i.e. Customs keeps fingerprinting my husband; security is
      generally poorly laid-out, unhelpful, impolite, inconsistent, and in a
      state of barely controlled panic...). It is obvious to us that this
      security hullabaloo has done nothing to make our travel safer. Instead,
      it makes our travel downright unpleasant. The real result is that
      everyone (American and tourists and guests) gets treated like a
      potential terrorist.

      When it comes to boycotts, I'd just simplify it by recommending you buy
      local when possible, whether in the US or Taiwan or China. Support the
      local businesses. I mean really local--your town, your seamstress, your
      Mom&Pop diner. This is good for your local economy and good for the
      environment (especially less energy and waste in transportation).

      At the risk of sounding totally off the edge--consider the ultimate
      boycott--just try not to buy anything new (google for the Compact
      group). I researched this group and its philosophy (i.e. it's an
      interesting try) because according to Trauger et al. (published in 2002
      by the Wildlife Society) from 1978-2000 there is a 98.4% correlation
      between America's increasing GDP and America's increasing number of
      threatened and endangered Species (I've not seen data for other
      countries, but expect it to be similar). So, if you care for the
      environment, you may want to try Compacting.

      CL
    • Johan van Dijk
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 30, 2007
        CL,

        thanks for posting. Very good to hear/read. Sad but good to hear, you know
        what I mean hopefully.

        This reply is only to second your line of "support local economies" !

        Hat's off to you....

        Grtz Johan

        mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
        email: gonewalkabout2003@...

        http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
        http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

      • Pat
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 30, 2007
          Clark hammocks are made in Utah and when I talked to gary about this
          very same subject he said that as long as he owns the company that
          clarks will continue to be made in Utah and only Utah after getting my
          Clark home and put up I am glad it is made in Utah and the U.S for that
          matter and will continue to support my local outfitter of hammocks
          Clark being one of them.

          I too think that most of our outdoor supplys are surcoming to the
          thought of getting better deal for there buck buy moving or useing
          places out of our country such a shame too.

          As american's we should and try too use nothing but american made but
          most of our company's see this is a chance to make bigger dollars by
          moving away from here to other country's the town I live in built and
          paid for a huge building only to have the company move to mexico.

          so for what it's worth from what I know about Clark untill the time
          they ever change I will continue to buy from them and after the first
          of the year I will be buying another one from them for my son.

          cavediver_2

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <watashiwah@...> wrote:

          > I posted this question earlier; it somehow was passed over. Which
          hammocks are made in
          > China, is this too much to ask? This isn't political, it is a viable
          question. Anyone remember
          > what the manufactures disclosed?

        • ian toal
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
            I have to say I agree with Pat on this. I have a Clark hammock, two of them actually. I've been following the post about where hammocks are made when I was setting up my hammock last night camping I was happy to see that it was made in America. They are great hammocks too. I've used mine in the middle of winter and slept well and warm. I'm looking forward to using it again this winter.

            Also, while I'm here, Cara had a question about wood being carbon neutral, back when we were talking about bees wax. I've spoken to a few people about it and the explaination I received was that wood when it burns, produces the amount of carbon that it absorbs during it's life. Products such as oil only produce carbon and no part of their manufacturing absorbs any.

            Enjoy,

            Ian

            Pat <cavediver_2@...> wrote:
            Clark hammocks are made in Utah and when I talked to gary about this
            very same subject he said that as long as he owns the company that
            clarks will continue to be made in Utah and only Utah after getting my
            Clark home and put up I am glad it is made in Utah and the U.S for that
            matter and will continue to support my local outfitter of hammocks
            Clark being one of them.

            I too think that most of our outdoor supplys are surcoming to the
            thought of getting better deal for there buck buy moving or useing
            places out of our country such a shame too.

            As american's we should and try too use nothing but american made but
            most of our company's see this is a chance to make bigger dollars by
            moving away from here to other country's the town I live in built and
            paid for a huge building only to have the company move to mexico.

            so for what it's worth from what I know about Clark untill the time
            they ever change I will continue to buy from them and after the first
            of the year I will be buying another one from them for my son.

            cavediver_2

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <watashiwah@...> wrote:

            > I posted this question earlier; it somehow was passed over. Which
            hammocks are made in
            > China, is this too much to ask? This isn't political, it is a viable
            question. Anyone remember
            > what the manufactures disclosed?

          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
              Also, while I'm here, Cara had a question about wood being carbon neutral,
              back when we were talking about bees wax. I've spoken to a few people about
              it and the explaination I received was that wood when it burns, produces the
              amount of carbon that it absorbs during it's life. Products such as oil
              only produce carbon and no part of their manufacturing absorbs any.

              Enjoy,

              Ian

              When the oil (and coal) was formed (eons ago) the carbon contained therein
              was removed from the environment (sequestered). It has been stored
              underground for millions of years. When we burn fossil fuels such as coal or
              oil, the carbon combines with oxygen and returns the the environment. Oil
              and coal are forming right now. but we are using the old stuff at a much
              faster rate than we are replacing it. Hence we are increasing the amount of
              carbon as CO2 in our environment.

              When a tree is grown it removes carbon from the atmosphere and stores it in
              the tree as cellulose. When the tree is either burned or rots, the carbon is
              returned to the atmosphere (unless it becomes coal or oil (slim chance)). So
              planting trees only removes the carbon from the atmosphere for a relatively
              short period of at most a century.

              I'm not sure this discussion belongs here on the hammock group page,
              Maybe it should be moved over to Kampfire???

              Ralph Oborn