Re: Chinese made Hammocks

  • ntskip
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
      I know that Hennessey Hammocks are now made in China. Speer Hammocks are made in
      the USA. This was one of the reasons that I went with the Speer... I am not sure about the
      others.

      NTSKIP--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <watashiwah@...> wrote:

      > For fear of sounding too Polyannish, or whatever, I'd like to know which Hammocks are
      made
      > in China. There is considerable dialogue on the merits of each hammock; but I am tired
      of
      > buying Chinese made when likely superior items are made here. Sure many parts of
      > everything might be of Chinese origin, but I meam manufacture. Maybe I seem crazy; I
      do
      > drive a "Japanese" Toyoto, this monitor in probably made in Taiwan; but the Chinese
      issue is
      > different. We might save a few bucks in the short run, but overall by buying items
      > manufactured in China we are screwing ourselves.
      >
      > It would be nice if the hammock people would declare where their hammocks are made,
      > that's all. We need the great outdoors to enjoy 'em, why subsidise industry that is
      ruining the
      > outdoors?

    • Johan van Dijk
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
        This is great for getting OT.. being politically correct or not...

        True China IS ruining a lot of the great outdoors... what is per capita the
        most polluting country?....and the runner ups.....

        Back to lurking mode here....

        Grtz Johan

        On 10/29/07, Rick <watashiwah@...> wrote:

        > For fear of sounding too Polyannish, or whatever, I'd like to know which
        > Hammocks are made
        > in China. There is considerable dialogue on the merits of each hammock;
        > but I am tired of
        > buying Chinese made when likely superior items are made here. Sure many
        > parts of
        > everything might be of Chinese origin, but I meam manufacture. Maybe I
        > seem crazy; I do
        > drive a "Japanese" Toyoto, this monitor in probably made in Taiwan; but
        > the Chinese issue is
        > different. We might save a few bucks in the short run, but overall by
        > buying items
        > manufactured in China we are screwing ourselves.
        >
        > It would be nice if the hammock people would declare where their hammocks
        > are made,
        > that's all. We need the great outdoors to enjoy 'em, why subsidise
        > industry that is ruining the
        > outdoors?

        mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
        email: gonewalkabout2003@...

        http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
        http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

      • Nightwalker
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
          My HH UL Backpacker is made in the USA. It figures, as I'm not one to care
          either way. :-)

          >I know that Hennessey Hammocks are now made in China. Speer Hammocks are
          >made in
          > the USA. This was one of the reasons that I went with the Speer... I am
          > not sure about the
          > others.
          >
          > NTSKIP--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <watashiwah@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> For fear of sounding too Polyannish, or whatever, I'd like to know which
          >> Hammocks are
          > made
          >> in China. There is considerable dialogue on the merits of each hammock;
          >> but I am tired
          > of
          >> buying Chinese made when likely superior items are made here. Sure many
          >> parts of
          >> everything might be of Chinese origin, but I meam manufacture. Maybe I
          >> seem crazy; I
          > do
          >> drive a "Japanese" Toyoto, this monitor in probably made in Taiwan; but
          >> the Chinese
          > issue is
          >> different. We might save a few bucks in the short run, but overall by
          >> buying items
          >> manufactured in China we are screwing ourselves.
          >>
          >> It would be nice if the hammock people would declare where their hammocks
          >> are made,
          >> that's all. We need the great outdoors to enjoy 'em, why subsidise
          >> industry that is
          > ruining the
          >> outdoors?
          >>

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Pat
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
            Clark hammocks are made in Utah and Gary Clark said to me and a
            couple of his employees have stated it as well as long as he owns the
            company they will be made Utah.

            cavediver2

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <watashiwah@...> wrote:

            > For fear of sounding too Polyannish, or whatever, I'd like to know
            which Hammocks are made
            > in China. There is considerable dialogue on the merits of each
            hammock; but I am tired of
            > buying Chinese made when likely superior items are made here. Sure
            many parts of
            > everything might be of Chinese origin, but I meam manufacture.
            Maybe I seem crazy; I do
            > drive a "Japanese" Toyoto, this monitor in probably made in Taiwan;
            but the Chinese issue is
            > different. We might save a few bucks in the short run, but overall
            by buying items
            > manufactured in China we are screwing ourselves.
            >
            > It would be nice if the hammock people would declare where their
            hammocks are made,
            > that's all. We need the great outdoors to enjoy 'em, why subsidise
            industry that is ruining the
            > outdoors?

          • takeasquizz
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Nightwalker
              <Nightwalker.AT@...> wrote:

              > My HH UL Backpacker is made in the USA. It figures, as I'm not one
              to care
              > either way. :-)

              Nightwalker, I find it interesting that your HH UL Backpacker is made
              in the USA. I purchased mine (current model HHULB) about June this
              year and
              it says 'Made in China'. How old is yours? Admittedly I did buy mine
              through an eabay store, but nevertheless it has all the registered
              trade marks attached to it. It also came with printed material with
              the Hennessy contact information on it. I must say, I was surprised to
              see the 'Made in China' tag on it as I too, was of the understanding
              that it was made in the USA.

              Julie

            • C C Wayah
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
                I do wonder where the materials for hammocks are made. Not just the assembly
                of the hammock.
                Rogene
              • the gnome of blue island
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
                  with all due respect this is a political question, not a hammockong one, kinda like do you shop at Walmart? the gnome of blue island

                  the gnome of blue island
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
                    On 10/31/07, the gnome of blue island <shortdottedline@...> wrote:

                    > with all due respect this is a political question, not a hammockong one,
                    > kinda like do you shop at Walmart? the gnome of blue island
                    >
                    > the gnome of blue island

                    Perhaps this topic also would be better discussed over on Kampfire where
                    topics are a little (well a lot) less focused.

                    Ralph

                  • Nightwalker
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 3, 2007
                      > Nightwalker, I find it interesting that your HH UL Backpacker is made
                      > in the USA. I purchased mine (current model HHULB) about June this
                      > year and
                      > it says 'Made in China'. How old is yours? Admittedly I did buy mine
                      > through an eabay store, but nevertheless it has all the registered
                      > trade marks attached to it. It also came with printed material with
                      > the Hennessy contact information on it. I must say, I was surprised to
                      > see the 'Made in China' tag on it as I too, was of the understanding
                      > that it was made in the USA.
                      >
                      > Julie

                      I ordered it special with the heavier ropes for a 200+ pound person. They
                      told me that it was made in the US before I bought it. My other HH, an Exped
                      Asym, is made in China and says so on the bag.

                      BTW, they didn't charge me more for the heavier-roped version, and it only
                      added 3 ounces to the whole thing. So, those of you who want to carry
                      ultralight, but aren't very light yourselves, you might keep this in mind!

                      I don't see how we can expect someone from another country to make their
                      products in our country. But I guess that's just me.

                      Frank/Nightwalker