Chinese made Hammocks

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 28, 2007
      For fear of sounding too Polyannish, or whatever, I'd like to know which Hammocks are made
      in China. There is considerable dialogue on the merits of each hammock; but I am tired of
      buying Chinese made when likely superior items are made here. Sure many parts of
      everything might be of Chinese origin, but I meam manufacture. Maybe I seem crazy; I do
      drive a "Japanese" Toyoto, this monitor in probably made in Taiwan; but the Chinese issue is
      different. We might save a few bucks in the short run, but overall by buying items
      manufactured in China we are screwing ourselves.

      It would be nice if the hammock people would declare where their hammocks are made,
      that's all. We need the great outdoors to enjoy 'em, why subsidise industry that is ruining the
      outdoors?
    • ntskip
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
        I know that Hennessey Hammocks are now made in China. Speer Hammocks are made in
        the USA. This was one of the reasons that I went with the Speer... I am not sure about the
        others.

        NTSKIP--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <watashiwah@...> wrote:

        > For fear of sounding too Polyannish, or whatever, I'd like to know which Hammocks are
        made
        > in China. There is considerable dialogue on the merits of each hammock; but I am tired
        of
        > buying Chinese made when likely superior items are made here. Sure many parts of
        > everything might be of Chinese origin, but I meam manufacture. Maybe I seem crazy; I
        do
        > drive a "Japanese" Toyoto, this monitor in probably made in Taiwan; but the Chinese
        issue is
        > different. We might save a few bucks in the short run, but overall by buying items
        > manufactured in China we are screwing ourselves.
        >
        > It would be nice if the hammock people would declare where their hammocks are made,
        > that's all. We need the great outdoors to enjoy 'em, why subsidise industry that is
        ruining the
        > outdoors?

      • Johan van Dijk
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
          This is great for getting OT.. being politically correct or not...

          True China IS ruining a lot of the great outdoors... what is per capita the
          most polluting country?....and the runner ups.....

          Back to lurking mode here....

          Grtz Johan

          On 10/29/07, Rick <watashiwah@...> wrote:

          > For fear of sounding too Polyannish, or whatever, I'd like to know which
          > Hammocks are made
          > in China. There is considerable dialogue on the merits of each hammock;
          > but I am tired of
          > buying Chinese made when likely superior items are made here. Sure many
          > parts of
          > everything might be of Chinese origin, but I meam manufacture. Maybe I
          > seem crazy; I do
          > drive a "Japanese" Toyoto, this monitor in probably made in Taiwan; but
          > the Chinese issue is
          > different. We might save a few bucks in the short run, but overall by
          > buying items
          > manufactured in China we are screwing ourselves.
          >
          > It would be nice if the hammock people would declare where their hammocks
          > are made,
          > that's all. We need the great outdoors to enjoy 'em, why subsidise
          > industry that is ruining the
          > outdoors?

          mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
          email: gonewalkabout2003@...

          http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
          http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

        • Nightwalker
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
            My HH UL Backpacker is made in the USA. It figures, as I'm not one to care
            either way. :-)

            >I know that Hennessey Hammocks are now made in China. Speer Hammocks are
            >made in
            > the USA. This was one of the reasons that I went with the Speer... I am
            > not sure about the
            > others.
            >
            > NTSKIP--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <watashiwah@...>
            > wrote:
            >>
            >> For fear of sounding too Polyannish, or whatever, I'd like to know which
            >> Hammocks are
            > made
            >> in China. There is considerable dialogue on the merits of each hammock;
            >> but I am tired
            > of
            >> buying Chinese made when likely superior items are made here. Sure many
            >> parts of
            >> everything might be of Chinese origin, but I meam manufacture. Maybe I
            >> seem crazy; I
            > do
            >> drive a "Japanese" Toyoto, this monitor in probably made in Taiwan; but
            >> the Chinese
            > issue is
            >> different. We might save a few bucks in the short run, but overall by
            >> buying items
            >> manufactured in China we are screwing ourselves.
            >>
            >> It would be nice if the hammock people would declare where their hammocks
            >> are made,
            >> that's all. We need the great outdoors to enjoy 'em, why subsidise
            >> industry that is
            > ruining the
            >> outdoors?
            >>

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Pat
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
              Clark hammocks are made in Utah and Gary Clark said to me and a
              couple of his employees have stated it as well as long as he owns the
              company they will be made Utah.

              cavediver2

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <watashiwah@...> wrote:

              > For fear of sounding too Polyannish, or whatever, I'd like to know
              which Hammocks are made
              > in China. There is considerable dialogue on the merits of each
              hammock; but I am tired of
              > buying Chinese made when likely superior items are made here. Sure
              many parts of
              > everything might be of Chinese origin, but I meam manufacture.
              Maybe I seem crazy; I do
              > drive a "Japanese" Toyoto, this monitor in probably made in Taiwan;
              but the Chinese issue is
              > different. We might save a few bucks in the short run, but overall
              by buying items
              > manufactured in China we are screwing ourselves.
              >
              > It would be nice if the hammock people would declare where their
              hammocks are made,
              > that's all. We need the great outdoors to enjoy 'em, why subsidise
              industry that is ruining the
              > outdoors?

            • takeasquizz
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Nightwalker
                <Nightwalker.AT@...> wrote:

                > My HH UL Backpacker is made in the USA. It figures, as I'm not one
                to care
                > either way. :-)

                Nightwalker, I find it interesting that your HH UL Backpacker is made
                in the USA. I purchased mine (current model HHULB) about June this
                year and
                it says 'Made in China'. How old is yours? Admittedly I did buy mine
                through an eabay store, but nevertheless it has all the registered
                trade marks attached to it. It also came with printed material with
                the Hennessy contact information on it. I must say, I was surprised to
                see the 'Made in China' tag on it as I too, was of the understanding
                that it was made in the USA.

                Julie

              • C C Wayah
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
                  I do wonder where the materials for hammocks are made. Not just the assembly
                  of the hammock.
                  Rogene
                • the gnome of blue island
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
                    with all due respect this is a political question, not a hammockong one, kinda like do you shop at Walmart? the gnome of blue island

                    the gnome of blue island
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
                      On 10/31/07, the gnome of blue island <shortdottedline@...> wrote:

                      > with all due respect this is a political question, not a hammockong one,
                      > kinda like do you shop at Walmart? the gnome of blue island
                      >
                      > the gnome of blue island

                      Perhaps this topic also would be better discussed over on Kampfire where
                      topics are a little (well a lot) less focused.

                      Ralph

                    • Nightwalker
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 3, 2007
                        > Nightwalker, I find it interesting that your HH UL Backpacker is made
                        > in the USA. I purchased mine (current model HHULB) about June this
                        > year and
                        > it says 'Made in China'. How old is yours? Admittedly I did buy mine
                        > through an eabay store, but nevertheless it has all the registered
                        > trade marks attached to it. It also came with printed material with
                        > the Hennessy contact information on it. I must say, I was surprised to
                        > see the 'Made in China' tag on it as I too, was of the understanding
                        > that it was made in the USA.
                        >
                        > Julie

                        I ordered it special with the heavier ropes for a 200+ pound person. They
                        told me that it was made in the US before I bought it. My other HH, an Exped
                        Asym, is made in China and says so on the bag.

                        BTW, they didn't charge me more for the heavier-roped version, and it only
                        added 3 ounces to the whole thing. So, those of you who want to carry
                        ultralight, but aren't very light yourselves, you might keep this in mind!

                        I don't see how we can expect someone from another country to make their
                        products in our country. But I guess that's just me.

                        Frank/Nightwalker