Country of manufacture; too much to ask?

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 2007
      I posted this question earlier; it somehow was passed over. Which hammocks are made in
      China, is this too much to ask? This isn't political, it is a viable question. Anyone remember
      what the manufactures disclosed?
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 30, 2007
        Rick wrote:
        > I posted this question earlier; it somehow was passed
        > over. Which hammocks are made in China, is this too
        > much to ask? This isn't political, it is a viable
        > question. Anyone remember what the manufactures
        > disclosed?

        Anything ordered through the internet or catalogs will only say
        'Imported'--could be China, could be any place else...

        Anything Made in China will have a tag...
        EVERYthing Made in China has a tag...

        I bought a travel hammock--tag says Made in China.

        My Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker Asym is Made in China--either it or
        the sylnylon bag it came in (the Made in China label is stamped on the
        bag)... probably both... I got mine at a discount because of some sort
        of discoloration in the netting that I could never see--so Hennessey may
        be Made in China, but the company maintains a high standard for quality.

        And here's where I do get political...

        For over a year (2005), my husband and I boycotted things Made in China,
        mainly because of China's aggressive and inconsiderate attitude towards
        Taiwan--i.e. >800 missiles pointed towards us and all sorts of talk
        about Taiwan being part of China, but obviously not giving a rip (or
        knowing anything) about Taiwan's people.

        Anyway, our boycott certainly did China no harm, but it definitely
        shaved us lots of money, mainly because we stopped buying cheap plastic
        toys at our local 7-11 to give to my American niece and nephew.
        Actually, the boycott caused some inconvenience, because SOOOOOoooooooo
        many things are Made in China, especially basic necessities: shoes, for
        example. This summer, in the US, we noticed that virtually everything
        at K-Mart and Target (we did not do Wal-Mart) was Made in China.

        We gave our boycott a try. Even now, we're still tag aware. That it's
        Made in China does make us pause and reconsider.

        I will mention that our Made in China boycott ended when my husband and
        I discussed a Made in USA boycott. We quickly realized that you can't
        boycott everything.

        Why a Made in USA boycott by an American and her Taiwanese husband?
        Mainly because America's foreign policy (including a tendency towards
        rudeness to Taiwan). More personally, it was because of all the
        security hassles and attitude and hysteria we have to go through to get
        into the USA so we can spend the summer taking our turn to care for my
        parents (i.e. Customs keeps fingerprinting my husband; security is
        generally poorly laid-out, unhelpful, impolite, inconsistent, and in a
        state of barely controlled panic...). It is obvious to us that this
        security hullabaloo has done nothing to make our travel safer. Instead,
        it makes our travel downright unpleasant. The real result is that
        everyone (American and tourists and guests) gets treated like a
        potential terrorist.

        When it comes to boycotts, I'd just simplify it by recommending you buy
        local when possible, whether in the US or Taiwan or China. Support the
        local businesses. I mean really local--your town, your seamstress, your
        Mom&Pop diner. This is good for your local economy and good for the
        environment (especially less energy and waste in transportation).

        At the risk of sounding totally off the edge--consider the ultimate
        boycott--just try not to buy anything new (google for the Compact
        group). I researched this group and its philosophy (i.e. it's an
        interesting try) because according to Trauger et al. (published in 2002
        by the Wildlife Society) from 1978-2000 there is a 98.4% correlation
        between America's increasing GDP and America's increasing number of
        threatened and endangered Species (I've not seen data for other
        countries, but expect it to be similar). So, if you care for the
        environment, you may want to try Compacting.

        CL
      • Johan van Dijk
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 30, 2007
          CL,

          thanks for posting. Very good to hear/read. Sad but good to hear, you know
          what I mean hopefully.

          This reply is only to second your line of "support local economies" !

          Hat's off to you....

          Grtz Johan

          mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
          email: gonewalkabout2003@...

          http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
          http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

        • Pat
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 30, 2007
            Clark hammocks are made in Utah and when I talked to gary about this
            very same subject he said that as long as he owns the company that
            clarks will continue to be made in Utah and only Utah after getting my
            Clark home and put up I am glad it is made in Utah and the U.S for that
            matter and will continue to support my local outfitter of hammocks
            Clark being one of them.

            I too think that most of our outdoor supplys are surcoming to the
            thought of getting better deal for there buck buy moving or useing
            places out of our country such a shame too.

            As american's we should and try too use nothing but american made but
            most of our company's see this is a chance to make bigger dollars by
            moving away from here to other country's the town I live in built and
            paid for a huge building only to have the company move to mexico.

            so for what it's worth from what I know about Clark untill the time
            they ever change I will continue to buy from them and after the first
            of the year I will be buying another one from them for my son.

            cavediver_2

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <watashiwah@...> wrote:

            > I posted this question earlier; it somehow was passed over. Which
            hammocks are made in
            > China, is this too much to ask? This isn't political, it is a viable
            question. Anyone remember
            > what the manufactures disclosed?

          • ian toal
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
              I have to say I agree with Pat on this. I have a Clark hammock, two of them actually. I've been following the post about where hammocks are made when I was setting up my hammock last night camping I was happy to see that it was made in America. They are great hammocks too. I've used mine in the middle of winter and slept well and warm. I'm looking forward to using it again this winter.

              Also, while I'm here, Cara had a question about wood being carbon neutral, back when we were talking about bees wax. I've spoken to a few people about it and the explaination I received was that wood when it burns, produces the amount of carbon that it absorbs during it's life. Products such as oil only produce carbon and no part of their manufacturing absorbs any.

              Enjoy,

              Ian

              Pat <cavediver_2@...> wrote:
              Clark hammocks are made in Utah and when I talked to gary about this
              very same subject he said that as long as he owns the company that
              clarks will continue to be made in Utah and only Utah after getting my
              Clark home and put up I am glad it is made in Utah and the U.S for that
              matter and will continue to support my local outfitter of hammocks
              Clark being one of them.

              I too think that most of our outdoor supplys are surcoming to the
              thought of getting better deal for there buck buy moving or useing
              places out of our country such a shame too.

              As american's we should and try too use nothing but american made but
              most of our company's see this is a chance to make bigger dollars by
              moving away from here to other country's the town I live in built and
              paid for a huge building only to have the company move to mexico.

              so for what it's worth from what I know about Clark untill the time
              they ever change I will continue to buy from them and after the first
              of the year I will be buying another one from them for my son.

              cavediver_2

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <watashiwah@...> wrote:

              > I posted this question earlier; it somehow was passed over. Which
              hammocks are made in
              > China, is this too much to ask? This isn't political, it is a viable
              question. Anyone remember
              > what the manufactures disclosed?

            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
                Also, while I'm here, Cara had a question about wood being carbon neutral,
                back when we were talking about bees wax. I've spoken to a few people about
                it and the explaination I received was that wood when it burns, produces the
                amount of carbon that it absorbs during it's life. Products such as oil
                only produce carbon and no part of their manufacturing absorbs any.

                Enjoy,

                Ian

                When the oil (and coal) was formed (eons ago) the carbon contained therein
                was removed from the environment (sequestered). It has been stored
                underground for millions of years. When we burn fossil fuels such as coal or
                oil, the carbon combines with oxygen and returns the the environment. Oil
                and coal are forming right now. but we are using the old stuff at a much
                faster rate than we are replacing it. Hence we are increasing the amount of
                carbon as CO2 in our environment.

                When a tree is grown it removes carbon from the atmosphere and stores it in
                the tree as cellulose. When the tree is either burned or rots, the carbon is
                returned to the atmosphere (unless it becomes coal or oil (slim chance)). So
                planting trees only removes the carbon from the atmosphere for a relatively
                short period of at most a century.

                I'm not sure this discussion belongs here on the hammock group page,
                Maybe it should be moved over to Kampfire???

                Ralph Oborn