Re: [Hammock Camping] leave no trace research on hammocks

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 29, 2007
      On 10/29/07, C C Wayah <ccwayah@...> wrote:

      Angle is not specific enough to answer properly/scientificaly I would
      think.. I don't think there's a hammock alive that is horizontal to the
      tree it's hung from.
      Unless it s the tent platform that is wratched to the tree.
      Distance apart the trees are and the sag of the hammock
      with a lot of other variables such as your weight how tight you stretched
      the hammock all are variables to concider.

      Sure it is, I weigh about 200 lbs, assume half my weight is supported by
      each support rope.

      If I was hanging veritcally (straight down there would be1 00 lbs of force
      on each rope (and each tree).
      If the angle at the trees was 45° there would be 141 lbs of force on each
      rope (and the tree).
      100 lbs vertically down, 100 lbs horizontally in, with a vector sum of 141
      lbs along the rope.
      Different angles would have different forces on the tree.

      Ralph

    • Nightwalker
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 30, 2007
        > so it is not written perfectly, perhaps someone is just curious< whats the
        > harm? the gnome
        >

        > the gnome of blue island
        My thoughts exactly. What's the harm?
      • list@moz.geek.nz
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 30, 2007
          >> so it is not written perfectly, perhaps someone is just curious< whats
          >> the

          The harm in poor research is that it's often reported only in summary
          form, so poor research becomes poor conclusions and often leads to
          poor rules. In this case, since not enough information is gathered
          to justify any conclusion, it's possible that whatever the report
          falsely concludes will be used to make rules (or at least political
          points) that have no bearing on facts. Specifically, reinforcement
          bias will mean it's used primarily by opponents of deviant behaviour
          (hammock camping) to justify bans. Which would be bad.

          I also oppose it simply becuase it's poor research. Which is bad
          in and of itself. Poor research can only be justified by a strong
          argument that the proposed research is the best possible. We're
          not seeing that here, just two inane questions dumped into the
          list then left unsupported. If nothing else, research involves
          a dialog...

          Moz
        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 30, 2007
            Hey folks, lets keep the discussion happy and positive!
            (not meaning to disrespect anybody) but Ed set up this list as a good
            positive way to spread information about hammock camping.

            If you feel the initial request is misguided, what would you suggest?

            If you were to design research properly, what would you be looking at?

            I agree with Moz, research involves a dialog

            Franc and team: talk to us, we have some suggestions.

            Ralph Oborn

          • Tod Massa
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 30, 2007
              Further, if this is from a US institution, since it is survey research with no promise of anonymity, there is a good chance it violates the human subject protocols required by the feds to be in place at all US institutions receiving federal funds and thus a complain could put those funds at risk ...regardless whether or not funded researchers were involved.

              It's just good practice to stop bad research practice...other folks can get hurt.

              There are those of us on the list who make our living doing and supporting academic research, and we can help.

              Tod

              >> so it is not written perfectly, perhaps someone is just curious< whats

              >> the

              The harm in poor research is that it's often reported only in summary

              form, so poor research becomes poor conclusions and often leads to

              poor rules. In this case, since not enough information is gathered

              to justify any conclusion, it's possible that whatever the report

              falsely concludes will be used to make rules (or at least political

              points) that have no bearing on facts. Specifically, reinforcement

              bias will mean it's used primarily by opponents of deviant behaviour

              (hammock camping) to justify bans. Which would be bad.

              I also oppose it simply becuase it's poor research. Which is bad

              in and of itself. Poor research can only be justified by a strong

              argument that the proposed research is the best possible. We're

              not seeing that here, just two inane questions dumped into the

              list then left unsupported. If nothing else, research involves

              a dialog...

              Moz

              <!-- #ygrp-mkp{ border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:14px 0px;padding:0px 14px;} #ygrp-mkp hr{ border:1px solid #d8d8d8;} #ygrp-mkp #hd{ color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:bold;line-height:122%;margin:10px 0px;} #ygrp-mkp #ads{ margin-bottom:10px;} #ygrp-mkp .ad{ padding:0 0;} #ygrp-mkp .ad a{ color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;} --> <!-- #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{ font-family:Arial;} #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{ margin:10px 0px;font-weight:bold;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;} #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{ margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;} --> <!-- #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {font:115% monospace;} #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;} #ygrp-text{ font-family:Georgia; } #ygrp-text p{ margin:0 0 1em 0;} #ygrp-tpmsgs{
              font-family:Arial; clear:both;} #ygrp-vitnav{ padding-top:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;margin:0;} #ygrp-vitnav a{ padding:0 1px;} #ygrp-actbar{ clear:both;margin:25px 0;white-space:nowrap;color:#666;text-align:right;} #ygrp-actbar .left{ float:left;white-space:nowrap;} .bld{font-weight:bold;} #ygrp-grft{ font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;padding:15px 0;} #ygrp-ft{ font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px solid #666; padding:5px 0; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{ padding-bottom:10px;} #ygrp-vital{ background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px 0 8px 8px;} #ygrp-vital #vithd{ font-size:77%;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;color:#333;text-transform:uppercase;} #ygrp-vital ul{ padding:0;margin:2px 0;} #ygrp-vital ul li{ list-style-type:none;clear:both;border:1px solid #e0ecee; } #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{ font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;float:right;width:2em;text-align:right;padding-right:.5em;} #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{ font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-vital a{ text-decoration:none;} #ygrp-vital a:hover{ text-decoration:underline;} #ygrp-sponsor #hd{ color:#999;font-size:77%;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov{ padding:6px 13px;background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{ padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{ list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;font-size:77%;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{ text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;} #ygrp-sponsor #nc{ background-color:#eee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:0 8px;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad{ padding:8px 0;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{ font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;color:#628c2a;font-size:100%;line-height:122%;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{ text-decoration:none;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{ text-decoration:underline;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{ margin:0;} o{font-size:0;} .MsoNormal{ margin:0 0 0 0;} #ygrp-text tt{ font-size:120%;} blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;} .replbq{margin:4;} -->
            • pure mahem
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 30, 2007
                Maybe there just curious of what kinds of hammock attachments to test and not particularly interested in you in particular. So as to find the most benificial low impact on tree to hammock connection possible, hmmm!JMO from what's been said. If I were at a university and looking to do research on leave no trace hammock connections I don't know if I would necessarily do an official request to get random results of what types of connections people are using. Someone read way to far into this. I use a 2" poly strap conected to the byers of maine micro adjuster. don't know the angle

                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 30, 2007
                  I don't do research, just a hammock owner. Before Trailplace closed it's
                  doors recently, I was attempting to get some information on the effect of
                  hammocks on trees. I asked folks at Oregon State University to comment on what
                  effect hammocks would have on the tree. There was nothing scientific quoted from
                  Leave no trace institute or OSU. They "felt" there would be no harmful
                  effects.

                • Francois
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 31, 2007
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, John Wilson <navjohn@...> wrote:

                    > I question the legitimacy of this post. I would think a request
                    > from a university:
                    > 1. Would originate from an .edu email site, and not hotmail,
                    > 2. Would be better written, not containing phrases like "doing a
                    > university research," and
                    > 3. Would not exhibit misspelled words.
                    >
                    > Perhaps a little more explanation is in order before we respond.
                    >
                    > John

                    Good point. The project is a 90 hour research for ''éthique de
                    l'environnement'' at the niversity of Chicoutimi (Quebec)where I'm
                    doing a bachelor in ''Plein air et tourisme d'aventure''. Sorry about
                    the mistakes but my english is not so good. I've been a member here
                    for 3 years and used my own log-in.
                    -Franc
                  • Sandy Kramer
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 1, 2007
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Francois" <franczazou@...>
                      wrote:

                      > > University of Chicoutimi (Quebec)where I'm
                      > doing a bachelor in ''Plein air et tourisme d'aventure''.

                      How interesting, an undergraduate program in Outdoors and Adventure
                      Tourism.

                      sandy kramer
                      miami
                    • Nightwalker