[Hammock Camping] Coastal South West

  • Darwin
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 22, 2007
      Can anyone offer descriptions, experiences, and advice for a novice camper/hiker in the coastal Southern California area?

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Brian T
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 22, 2007
        Dont bring anything remotely close to fire in there!! LOL

        Where at in Southern Cali? The furthest south I got was here:

        http://www.santabarbarahikes.com/

        I love that website.

        Brian

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 22, 2007
          I live near Dizzyland and wife works for County Fire Authority.

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 22, 2007
            > I live near Dizzyland and wife works for County Fire Authority.

            You are close to that area then. About an hour or so North of you. As
            you know, that area can be harsh. Take a lot of water if going inland.

            Brian
          • Mark Bayern
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 23, 2007
              When I lived half-way between 'dizzyland' and that knotty-berry place, we'd
              go hiking in the San Jacinto Wilderness.

              Usually started near Idyllwild CA or Mountain Home. You can hike to the top
              end of the Palm Springs tram from a Mountain Home trailhead. It is an
              'interesting way' to get to Palm Springs!

              Some info is available at: http://www.idyllwild.com/hiking.html

              Mark

            • Darwin
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 23, 2007
                Thanks, Mark.

                I have done a nature walk from the Tram Way Lodge. I also did a Retreat at Idyllwild.

                Are there good hanging spots in the public areas around there?

                Thanks for the suggestion.

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 23, 2007
                  Up on the mountain there were plenty of spots to hang -- but I was there in
                  the 80's and was a tarp user at the time.