Re: Water in the Southeast

  • marta_clark
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 22, 2007

      > Any advice on trails in the SE for 50 to 100 mile backpacking trips in
      > this current drought?

      Carry more water containers?

      Seriously, I was on Max Patch over the weekend. I quizzed a couple of
      folks who had walked in from Hot Springs. There were still at least
      three sources in the 21 miles. I don't know about the sources to the
      south. There's some water out there, just not as often as we're used
      to seeing.

      I'm planning a hike around Caesar's Head and Table Rock SPs next
      weekend. I'm hoping there's some water around.
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 22, 2007
        like Marta said, carry more water containers for one thing.
        also, a person may want to choose a pack that can carry a little more weight comfortably so they can carry water when they need to with out killing their back & shoulders.

        and a person would do well to know how to find water in places other than the most obvious places.
        i have found trickles of water in low places that form off the trail (beginning of a gully) where the there is a lot of green, like rhodoendrons. it would appear as a trickle in places, then disappear beneath the leaves & into the ground.
        i used a dry, curled rhodo leaf as a straw to get the slow moving water into my cook pot. then i used the water filter to pump it into the water bladder.

        another time up on a long dry ridge, we stopped at a seep (water dripping from mossy rocks) & i spread a trash bag on the ground to collect the drips. it didn't take long until i had enough to fill my water bladder & those of two friends.

        but even those opportunities aren't always available, so it's best to think ahead & drink up when you can. "Hydrate or die!"... or at least suffer<g>. ...tim

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 22, 2007
          Marta,

          I didn't phrase my question correctly. I was looking for a 50 to 100
          mile backpacking trip where water won't be too much of a problem. I
          am afraid right now that some section of trails may have 15 to 20 mile
          gaps between water sources and I wanted to avoid those and find a
          trail that had water every 6 to 12 miles.

          Dave

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark" <marta_clark@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 22, 2007
            i thought you were just trying to start conversation Dave. i knew that you already knew more than i do about finding water<g>.
            that's a good question. i know shorter hikes around reliable creeks & rivers, but i'm not thinking of anything right off that crosses or follows that much reliable water.
            some people have said that there is a lot of water crossing the Foothills Trails", but i'm not familiar w/ it my self.