Re: Gila Wilderness trip report

  • Rat
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 16, 2007
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Ross"
      <jlross_tijeras@...> wrote:

      > Neither I, nor the goats, carried any food for them. They did
      carry
      > a couple liters of water,

      Hey Jeff, good to see another Goat Packer on the hammock forums. I
      have used goats as pack animals for years hunting Elk in Colorado. I
      have a brother and sister pair of Nubians, tweedle-dee and tweedle-
      dum, dum is a wether but not dehorned. They are getting a little
      long in the tooth now, over ten years old, but still going strong.
      They live in Colorado with a friend of mine, who I hunt with, he
      gets a lot more use out of them then I would in Texas. They have
      kived with him for several years now.

      I have never had any issues with mine being lazy, but I have heard
      of it as well with Nubians. I bought mine from a ranch that
      specializes in packgoats tho. They can be loud tho, Nubians are very
      vocal, especially if I leave them at camp for a hunt.

      I always pitch their tarp close to me so they can get under the
      hammock if they want to. Several nights they have woke me up kinda
      freaked out. I found bear tracks the next morning one time, but
      nothing on the others, I figured it was some predator out and about,
      but we have always been safe.

      I don't know if you have ever packed out Elk meat before, if you
      have then you know how hard it is, the endless trips back to the
      forest service road. That is where your kids will shine for ya, I
      can't tell you how much of a difference it makes.

      I will proly start looking for a new pair when I get home in Nov.
      Maybe some Toggs this time. My kids are only about 210 pounds, but
      they can carry 40-50 pounds all day with judicious rest stops. They
      rarely do, unless we get an Elk.

      One of these days I need to get back into Gila, I practically grew
      up there, but haven't been back since high school.

      Sounds like you are learning hammocking and goat packing at the same
      time. Sounds like fun:) Just wait until they learn to untie the
      panier straps!

      Rat
    • Jeff Ross
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 16, 2007
        Hi Rat. So far I've had no predator problems except domestic dogs on
        the trails. I had to bash one with my walking stick (a good reason to
        carry a real stick, not a fancy aluminum one). I worry more about
        wolves than anything in the Gila country. They aren't afraid of
        people, will attack dogs, and my goats would be very attractive to
        them. Mountain lions are also a concern, but they avoid people.

        If you decide to get new packgoats here's a link to a lady in CO who
        raises and sells packgoats. She knows her stuff and her animals are
        first rate.

        http://huffakerfarms.homestead.com/soap2.html