Re: Veterans Day @ Dingmans Ferry

  • Chuck Kime
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 12, 2007
      --- Shelly Thimmer <sthimmer@...> wrote:

      > Anyway, for those who don't want to do the 12 - 20
      > miles Fuzzy is planning(Hey! I said wait for me for
      > that piece!!!),

      I know you did, but my son, Alex, just verified last night that he will
      be attending this year. He is working towards the Boy Scout Hiking
      Merit Badge that requires a 20-mile same-day hike, and that section
      looks good for that. To address Rosaleen's concerns: Culver's Gap is
      under 8.5 miles from the campground, and Greenville, NY (just over the
      state line from the northernmost 20-30 miles in NJ) is under 21 miles
      from the campground. We could be dropped off in just 15 minutes first
      thing in the morning (read 'EARLY') and head north, or even leave a
      pick-up car at the Culver's Gap Lot Friday night and drive the 1/2-hour
      to start in Greenville and head south. Heading north gives us more
      bail-out points at the end of the hike - once we get past the High
      Point HQ there are roads every couple of miles.

      > I had suggested to Fuzzy last year
      > that the short term hikers may just want to go down to
      > the Delaware Water Gap "park" and hike the trail up to
      > the pond, do a circle around the pond and come back
      > down to the cars. Depending on which loop you hike,
      > it'll be less than 10 miles total. About 4 -5 up and
      > back to/from the pond IIRC. It's a nice easy wide
      > trail and the stone sculptures around the pond are
      > nice to check out as well.

      Agreed. Cool sculptures. It's uphill to the pond/lake, and downhill
      back to the cars, with no shuttling needed since it would be a loop.

      > For the record Chuck - over the last two years we've
      > done 26.9 miles! 14.8 in 2005, 12.1 in 2006. Approx
      > according to my trailbook.

      With 20 miles for this year that's almost 2/3 of the state! Woo HOO!!

      > Oh, have a toast for me while you're in camp over the
      > fire will ya?

      Count on it.

      Fuzzy

      http://tv.yahoo.com/
    • Chuck Kime
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 26, 2007
        All,

        I got emails back stating interest from several people. Due to a new
        *BIG* project at work I have not had time to do *any* logistical
        planning - other than hiking plans - and probably won't over the next
        few weeks, other than planning to attend. J.D. had mentioned something
        about considering logistics - any word on that, J.D.? As for us, it
        looks like both of Mary's boys are tied up that weekend, but my 17-yo
        son Alex is rarin' to go for a 20-miler, with base camp at the same
        site as the last 2 years - plus he will finally get to break in his
        Hennessy Expedition Asym. Let's not let this annual fun-fest fall by
        the wayside, gang!

        Fuzzy

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • QPens@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 26, 2007
          Does anyone have an address that I can punch into Google Maps to find this
          place?
          Thanks in advance.
          Best,
          Michael