Re: NYE at Springer

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12, 2007
      Rosaleen,

      Okay, we are getting some of the parameters nailed down. I did a
      little looking at my maps and made some estimates (if someone has done
      this before and knows better, please speak up). With a noon airport
      dead line the MARTA connection doesn't fit in well.

      The 1 mile walk on the AT from Springer to the parking lot: 1/2 hour.

      The 6.5 mile drive on Forrest Service Road 42 to Doublehead Gap Road:
      1/2 hour.

      100 mile drive from there to ATL airport: 2 hours.

      I'm figuring your best case is that it will take 3 hours to get you
      from Springer to the ATL airport. Can you make that work? If you can
      I can drive you all the way to the airport.

      Dave

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rosaleen43" <rosaleen43@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi, Dave-
      >
      > Thanks for answering.
      >
      > I think it is just me looking for a ride to/near an airport. I am
      > trying to work a visit to my parents (Ohio), a few days of Gal Pal
      > time (maaybe NC) AND a trip to Srpinger for NYE, and back home to
      > the Boston area into my Christmas school break. I don't want much,
      > huh?
      >
      > It is looking like the price i wanted to pay for a flight home is
      > sold out in Atlanta unless I could get there by about Noon. That
      > might be a bit early after partying the night before at Springer.
      > really, who will want to get up and "move out smartly."
      >
      > I haven;t quite given up, yet. Decisions need to be soon or all the
      > flights might be full.
      >
      > Thanks again!
      >
      > Rosaleen
      > >
      > > Rosaleen,
      > >
      > > How many people do you have to get to an airport and by what time at
      > > the Atlanta airport? The MARTA train goes out north of Atlanta a
      > > little ways and the train goes to the airport, which is south of
      > > Atlanta http://www.itsmarta.com/ . Some people, me in particular,
      > > would have it so it wouldn't be any trouble to drop you off at the
      > > MARTA station as that route wouldn't be out of my way while the
      > > airport itself would be an additional 60 mile round trip or so but
      > > might get you there a half-hour or so quicker.
      > >
      > > You do realize that the NYE thing is iffy if a big winter storm
      > comes
      > > through. If it was me getting you to a MARTA station, I would count
      > > on a two hour drive from Springer to the Doraville MARTA station or
      > > North Point MARTA station, and then a hour commute on the train,
      > where
      > > you just stay on the train until it ends at the airport from either
      > > station.
      > >
      > > Dave
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rosaleen Sullivan"
      > > <rosaleen43@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi, Guys-
      > > >
      > > > I am going to predict there will be several people from this list
      > > heading out to Springer for New Year's Eve this year.
      > > >
      > > > There is an outside chance I can get there this year, culminating
      > > very convoluted trip with some gal pals. A critical piece of the
      > plan
      > > involves getting back to the Boston area before school starts on
      > Jan. 2.
      > > >
      > > > Is someone here who is planning to celebrate NYE on Springer able
      > > drop me off at the Charlotte, NC, airport by about 4 PM on Jan 1?
      > The
      > > Atlanta airport is a second choice. I do not expect a free ride,
      > just
      > > reliable and reasonable.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks, in advance, for any consideration.
      > > >
      > > > Rosaleen

    • Rosaleen Sullivan
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 13, 2007
        Dave-

        You are just too nice for words!

        We have this separate off-line thread among some of my gal-pals met through
        the WomenHikers group. A few of us have been trying to figure out a way to
        "kidnap" a friend who could use a break. One of those kidnapper-wanna-be's
        could use a break herself, but may not be able to get away from her family
        obligations. We started kicking around bringing the "voluntarily kidnapped"
        friend to the one who couldn;t get away. Now my co-ringleader has wrecked
        her vehicle. What a mess!

        I will try to sort out what I can over the weekend. Do men let things get
        this complicated, or is it just how the convoluted female brain works???

        Thank you so much for your most kind offer. I would LIIKE to take you up on
        it, if I can manage the trip.

        I never cease to be amazed at how kind the Trail Community is to each other.

        Rosaleen

        Re: NYE at Springer
        Posted by: "Dave Womble" dpwomble@... dpwomble