Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Nice to Meet you, Ed and Karen

  • Scott Schroeder
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 12, 2007
      Dave,
      I know you addressed Michael, but this got my interest.
      You may recall I asked about possible solution in regard to something I did
      with the bridge hammock.
      With an adjustable
      bottom<http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1438>,
      I think there could be a way to handle this.
      If there was two layers, one could start the night off with thinner
      insulation(first bottom), then when temperatures drop, reach up and pull up
      the second bottom. Also, you could just pull up the foot end and leave the
      head end 'open' or any combination. Perhaps the bottom most layer could be a
      bit thinner (and lighter) with this setup.
      Anyway, hopefully this winter I'll be able to play more with the
      possibilities.

      Scott

    • QPens@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 12, 2007
        Hi Dave,
        Thanks for posting all of the different options for venting the Speer
        Snugfit. I'll try each of them, but, as you said, it's really only necessary
        in warmer weather. I was actually very comfortable that night once my body
        cooled down and worked with the top quilt to vent. Thanks for designing such a
        great underquilt.
        Best,
        Michael
        qpens

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 12, 2007
          Hey Scott,

          What you are does look promising and reminds me a little bit of the
          early approach Ray Garlington used with his undercover for his
          Hennessy Hammock where he had a pull cord rigged so he could pull it
          closed behind him after he got in his hammock. The last I recall Ray
          was using a top loading hammock and putting a big bag of feathers in
          his undercover for insulation and using all manner of accessories with
          his hammock. I don't know if Ray still comes to this forum, I don't
          recall him posting lately.

          Like you said, you will learn more about how all that works this
          winter and until you get out there with it and see how it does in
          backpacking conditions you won't really know whether it solves more
          problems than it creates. There is always that risk when you try
          something new, I know I have had that experience many times but it is
          part of the process. Good luck with it and let me know how it does.